• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MY first attempt at coin conservation !!!

10 posts in this topic

Hi all ..

I i have always been scared to try "cleaning/conserving" as all of the horror stories of ruining the coins .. but having a dad who is a chemist i asked him to put together a "safe" formula.. he has come up with this stuff which he says will not touch the surface of the coin just the grease etc.. so i have tried it with these coins .. what do you think .. i have only had them in it for up to 30mins and seems to be doing what it says on the tin.. not stripping them just sensibly removing some of the grime..

well have i ruined the coins or helped a bit ?? or more to the point could you tell i had done something to the coin if you saw the picture of the coin for the first time ?

BEFORE TREATMENT

conind.jpg

After

consvindians.jpg

BEFORE

conindb.jpg

After

conserindians.jpg

Before

nmorgs.jpg

After

OOO.jpg

Before

nmorglo.jpg

After

OOOOO.jpg

Before

contoken.jpg

After

contokem.jpg

Before

contok.jpg

After

Contokenc.jpg

as usual all comment graciously received

I think you did a good job, Wayne. A few coins could you a little longer soak, I think, to remove some of the green and black stuff around the letters.

Wow. Nice improvement in those coins!

Did you use acetone?

Speaking of buffalo nickels, does anyone remember the "date restorer" stuff for nickels. it was a little bottle of stuff (now this goes back 30 years or more) that if you dropped a bit on the worn off date of a nickel (Buffalo for example) the date would weakly appear. I never had luck with the stuff as a kid but was wondering if it is still in use and if anone had ever had success with it?

RI AL

While the date restorer does bring out the date it ruins the coin. But I guess if the date is completely worn down-what the heck.

Glad to see you're cleaning up your act, Dooly. Nice job.

Jim

Hi all thanks for the comments

Here are the next batch

Before

consilver.jpg

After

0101.jpg

Before

consilverr.jpg

After

010100.jpg

And the next coin to be conserved :o i am scared about this one as it is quiet a good coin .. would you "give it a go ?"

00000000001854.jpg

0000001845.jpg

The first one to say Yes sends it to the bath !!!!!!

The Barber dime and the 41 Mercury do have sort of a "cleaned" look to them, but then again, it might just be because I saw the "before" pictures.

Having said that, I think that your large cent definitely needs some help, and if your cleaner doesn't alter it's appearance any more than it did to the token, I'd say go for it - but you might want to wait for some copper experts to voice their opinion first.

It looks as though your dad has given you acentone. Additionally, I don't know why you would work on that WLH, the war nickel or the two Mercs as those coins looked fine beforehand, but of course they are less expensive experiments.

It appears that you have improved the coins' appearance without too much surface damage. Whatever it is, it works for grimy, dirty coins that are well worn to begin with. I would be cautious with copper, although your '54 large cent has verdigris and corrosion problems so you probably can't make it any worse, color wise, than it is already. Interesting stuff. Maybe you will someday be known for Dooly's magic coin cleaner!