• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You canNOT say CAC labeled coins are ipso facto PQ

51 posts in this topic

period.

disclaimer: I like the idea of CAC

Objective: (and don't give me that that 'well...in YOUR opinion, it's not PQ...')

There are numerous, numerous coins with CAC labels affixed to their holders and the coins are SO UGLY THAT I WOULDN"T EVEN WANT THEM IN MY HOUSE!!!

OK????

{maybe they are technically accurate for the grade, but look like mess}

In fact, I'm so sick of CAC threads, I'm not even going to read this one (I may have a third party do it for me, so watch what you say)

I'm so sick of seeing CAC stickered holders that I actually wish they didn't exist at all!!!!

I don't like the idea that if I put my coin up for auction, and it doesn't have a CAC sticker, and the one next to it DOES, and is also BUTT UGLY, that my coin stands a chance of getting less of a competitive bid IF there is no two people bidding on my coin at the same time who have ANY sensibility in their brains. And we all know....without a doubt....how much dreck is bought by collectors who don't have any sensibility whatsoever (no one on this board meets those criteriae).

Sincerely,

MikeKing

period.

disclaimer: I like the idea of CAC

Objective: (and don't give me that that 'well...in YOUR opinion, it's not PQ...')

There are numerous, numerous coins with CAC labels affixed to their holders and the coins are SO UGLY THAT I WOULDN"T EVEN WANT THEM IN MY HOUSE!!!

OK????

{maybe they are technically accurate for the grade, but look like mess}

You're preaching to the choir, brother. I agree with your statement 100%!

Sure you can. It's just that it would be inaccurate. ;)

If you're sick of the subject, though, why start another thread on it?

I'm batting .500 with CAC. I purchased one coin, a Gobrecht Dollar, sight seen at the fall Baltimore show and love it. :luhv: I bought another coin via the Internet that I thought had a problem (post strike scratches and possilbe spot removal) and sent it back.

Perhaps I'm nuts however. A dealer bought the coin, cracked it out and sent it in for an upgrade. hm If I cracked that coin I would have been concerned about getting a body bag. Different strokes I suppose. (shrug)

I was waiting for some sort of annoying comment from you, here it is.

I was waiting for some sort of annoying comment from you, here it is.

And now, with that (rude) remark out of the way, how about telling us the real reason you started the thread, after stating "In fact, I'm so sick of CAC threads..."? Please feel free not to answer and I promise not to ask a third time.

Actually, I don't think the boards over here have been overly CAC-reactive. There were a few juicy threads, but I have no complaints at all.

I have heard that the forum ATS has been drenched with such threads, however. I guess an easy way to avoid overdosing on the subject is not to wander!

Ever since CC got banned and Parker is spending more time at the strip clubs than the forums :baiting: , the CAC issue hasn't been overbearing.

Like Mark, I find the irony in Mike's post, and I'm not quite sure what the point is/was. That said, it sounds to me like Mike and the CAC just define PQ differently (Mike seems to think it equates to eye appeal, and the CAC seems to define it as solid for the grade).

Regretfully and respectfully submitted...Mike

And for anyone who saw Parker's post above, in which, before editing it, he asked Mike if he was a shill for CAC, I'll answer for both Mike's who have posted to this thread - no.

Yes I could probably agree with you on both Mikes. Thats why I changed my thread after doing a little more research.

But its glaringly obvious who the real shills for CAC in here are and I believe everyone knows.

I don't think that shill is a fair way to describe the opinions/actions of some, as those who have a relationship with the CAC have been very forthright in admitting their involvement, as far as I know.

I wasn't going to respond to the requests that I give a reason why I'm posting something about something I'm sick of. Bust seeing where this thread has been sort of twisted, I'll explain myself. Thank you Parker.

Well, my reasons are contained in my first post. I'm expressing myself, and I'm expressing my feelings. There is nothing wrong with that and it doesn't require explanation. If your sick of something, that doesn't mean it doesn't affect you, that you may not have concerns, and that you may very well want to talk about it regardless of your feeling sick of it.

I'm sick of this whole CAC thing, and for reasons I gave above. The CAC level provides another avenue for abuse by the unscrupulous and THIS IS A NEGATIVE FOR THE HOBBY.

On the other hand I like the idea, I like the man who started it, I think he's a genius, and I believe the TPG's needed a wake up call.

What I don't like is the potential harm something like this can be used for, through misinterpretation, misatribution and the final result, misuse.

I don't think that's an inappropriate topic, and I'd like to see this thread continue in the vein it was meant to be in, so please keep this on topic.

Sincerely

Michael

In fact, I'm so sick of CAC threads, I'm not even going to read this one (I may have a third party do it for me, so watch what you say)

I'm so sick of seeing CAC stickered holders that I actually wish they didn't exist at all!!!!

I wrote this, and I think it's hilarious. Laugh a little.

:D

I don't like the idea that if I put my coin up for auction, and it doesn't have a CAC sticker, and the one next to it DOES, and is also BUTT UGLY, that my coin stands a chance of getting less of a competitive bid IF there is no two people bidding on my coin at the same time who have ANY sensibility in their brains. And we all know....without a doubt....how much dreck is bought by collectors who don't have any sensibility whatsoever (no one on this board meets those criteriae).

I also don't like the idea that my coins would likely receive lower bids than lesser coins just because they're not slabbed. I also don't like the idea that my coins would likely receive lower bids than lesser coins just because they're in the wrong slab.

It seems that there is now a green sticker for 'solid" and GOLD sticker for "actually PQ"

Why is any mention of CAC brutally censored on the PCGS board? The past day or two I have replied to posts and in the time to write a couple of paragraphs the

thread no longer existed?

When CAC was announced, "Home Run Hall" commented that anything that brought additional confidence to the coin market was a good thing.

It seems like the entire archive of the PCGS boards has been scrubbed, and every message with "CAC" in either the title or message body has been deleted.

It seems that there is now a green sticker for 'solid" and GOLD sticker for "actually PQ"

Why is any mention of CAC brutally censored on the PCGS board? The past day or two I have replied to posts and in the time to write a couple of paragraphs the

thread no longer existed?

When CAC was announced, "Home Run Hall" commented that anything that brought additional confidence to the coin market was a good thing.

It seems like the entire archive of the PCGS boards has been scubbed, and every message with "CAC" in either the title or message body has been deleted.

The "gold sticker" isn't new and signifies that in CAC's opinion the coin deserves a higher grade.

Censoring of CAC threads on the PCGS forum isn't new either.

The "gold sticker" isn't new and signifies that in CAC's opinion the coin deserves a higher grade.

Censoring of CAC threads on the PCGS forum isn't new either.

The gold sticker was never mentioned before on the CAC website. A name change from COLLECTORS Acceptance Corp to CERTIFIED Acceptance Corp plus the newly shown gold sticker, with talk of a crossover service to have green

stickers re-examined for a fee to see if they could be restickered with a gold sticker

made many think that the website had been hacked and replaced with a parody site.

It's curious that this discussion completely disappeared, since since certainly

did not place CAC in a favorable light.

While some CAC threads have been censored for months, this is the first time that

we have noticed that the archives have had EVERY post mentioning CAC deleted.

What is the sensitivity here with PCGS..They went from non commital support of

"anything that makes more confidence in the market is good.: to "we don;t think it's needed but the market will determine their success" to outright hostility...

Will they ban trading of CAC coins on the Certified Coin Exchange, which CLCT owns?

The name itself of CAC has changed? to "Certified" Acceptance Corporation?

I don't understand why then ANACS and ICG wouldn't fall under the umbrella, other than the "online pop reports" requirement. And as yet, I still haven't seen an explanation of that stipulation either.

Maybe this CAC concept is still in a state of flux....

I don't think that shill is a fair way to describe the opinions/actions of some, as those who have a relationship with the CAC have been very forthright in admitting their involvement, as far as I know.

Fair? Are you kidding me? Considering some of the names they have called me, data mining, etc. I would think shill is a very polite, restrained way for me to put it. I think you are sincere but believe me we are very far apart in our views of certain individuals.

The name itself of CAC has changed? to "Certified" Acceptance Corporation?

I don't understand why then ANACS and ICG wouldn't fall under the umbrella, other than the "online pop reports" requirement. And as yet, I still haven't seen an explanation of that stipulation either.

Maybe this CAC concept is still in a state of flux....

Yes I was surprised at that given as a reason. Its sort of like a company telling an employee they were fired because the employee does not fit the new culture. "What you were doing was ok under the old culture, but under the new culture of continuous improvement you simply have not been improving enough." Doubletalk comes in all shapes and forms. I am sure now the conspiracy buffs will post all kinda theories why ANACS and ICG would not fall under the CAC umbrella. My own belief is from the bias I have seen on the bourse - ANACS and ICG coins are (as expressed by some) in the "wrong holder." If you take the core players in CAC, were they ever owners of ANACS or ICG coins? I don't believe so.

57341-193925cANACS64.jpg.65a414266f3b8c40d937e9fd1cc5f578.jpg

57342-193925cANACS64rev.jpg.559c7483a2f0a7dd3359bea647cdabb3.jpg

Really, I'm not aware of any censoring of CAC on this board, including Carson City's several month rant!

A thread on the topic of the CAC detecting a forum member's puttied coin was poofed earlier today. I am not sure what triggered the mods to poof it, but there were criticisms of the CAC, PCGS, Heritage, dealers, and others. Everyone had a black eye except NGC.

Thats terrible about the puttied coins. Can any of you give me a link to go view them? My concept of putty is from my Model RR hobby and it always has to be painted to match the surrounding surface after being applied. How in the world do they do this to coins? I would think the surrounding surface would have to be painted to hide evidence of the putty after it was used to fill a depression or hide a contact mark. With the kind of coins I do (mostly below $1000 - I am risk averse), I have seen the putty problem happening to expensive classic material but I could be mistaken.

You just have to wonder how much of this goes on with raw, inexpensive stuff. A key date barber dime in circulated has a counting mark on the reverse. The coin doctor skillfully fills and smooths the depression area with putty skillfully using his tools like a surgeon. The area is painted to match the surrounding surface to blend it all in probably with a paint like Floquil (possibly mixed to match). The coin is then placed in a staple 2 x 2 and marked at bid.....I once listed a key date barber dime (probably at 60% of CDN Bid - which had a counting mark and described the problem - I was amazed on how quickly it sold and have always wondered if it went to a coin doctor. No - I don't go out to deliberately acquire such material - this was from a take it all or pass estate deal.

Coins with these problems are getting by the services. The docs have gotten very good. CAC will help with this big problem. Not solve it, but will help. People who are against CAC should think about this.

Really, I'm not aware of any censoring of CAC on this board, including Carson City's several month rant!

A thread on the topic of the CAC detecting a forum member's puttied coin was poofed earlier today. I am not sure what triggered the mods to poof it, but there were criticisms of the CAC, PCGS, Heritage, dealers, and others. Everyone had a black eye except NGC.

That is very odd indeed....I wonder why... hm

Perhaps the original poster requested it be deleted? hm