• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I really, really, really, REALLY, want a PROOF Morgan

57 posts in this topic

michael...would you just go out and buy yourself a cannon? or at least get yourself a good scanner and scan in color high res. darn..i want to see your coins too!!!!

Be careful, he might take this the wrong way. A guy could have some real fun with a good 30 pounder. ;)

michael...would you just go out and buy yourself a cannon? or at least get yourself a good scanner and scan in color high res. darn..i want to see your coins too!!!!

Be careful, he might take this the wrong way. A guy could have some real fun with a good 30 pounder. ;)

Kaboom!!!

Chris

I've been trying to convince him to send me some of his coins to image, but my offers have not been accepted. :(

Oddly enough I have never had a Proof Morgan dollar in my collection in almost 50 years of collecting. hm I did handle a few a dealer, but I had to treat them like a pet shop owner would. "Don't get attached to it."

I've been trying to convince him to send me some of his coins to image, but my offers have not been accepted. :(

He's afraid you'll actually see them and want to keep them.

Wish I had a proof morgan, too. Though I wish I hadn't sold a gorgeous 66DMPL I had with cameo appearance.

Wish I had a proof morgan, too. Though I wish I hadn't sold a gorgeous 66DMPL I had with cameo appearance.

While we're in the wishing department, I wish I had one, too!

Chris

While we're in the wishing department, I wish I had one, too!

Chris

Me too, just like my brother Sy. :grin:

You guys are making feel bad that I own one ... Maybe I should take it and skoot it along the surface of the lake in the back yard like a skipping stone and say

"geez I wish I owned one too "

laugh.gif

... just my luck ... my turtle would think it was a game and find it and bring it back to me hahahahahah

52406-fred_new.jpg

What is the easiest date ? PF65 CAMEO will do me

I would say the one witrh the most made :) ... as these were usually only produced in the 100's of coins - My 1883 there were only 979 made .

My guess would be a 1879 or 1880 with 1500 and 1900 coins made

Good Luck

a great question

there is no doubt among collectors and experts that the nicest produced; boldest struck due to new dies and one of the more available dates in the proof morgan field (not that other dates dont come with superb eye appeal) is the 1898 proof morgan as they usually come with great contrast and even greater eye appeal; now the proofs of 1896-1898 are usually available like this; also along with the 1894 proof morgan what is interesting about the 1894 even though it might be one of the more available proof morgans but because of its rarity in unc. and a key date in business strike they do usually bring a premium in proof; again even though they are one of the more available proof morgans

yes the 1880 is one of the high water marks for mintages of proof morgans and it is not as common as you might think because of poor quality production

few have great eye appeal; few have great cameo contast bewteen the fields and devices and few have a full strike over the ear of miss liberty

so ironically enough it is not as common as many lower mintage morgans with all positive attributes

and again so many (all dates) have been dipped out ( to maximise the slabbing services grade and cameo designation for the in demand more $$ from the end users who do not know any better lol) ugly blast white with cloudy hazy mirrors and ghost white toning that was so deep into the coin that there is still a white outline of the former toning and brown/champagne toning around the outer edges due to improper rinsing of the dip residue that is left behind on the coin and then tones the ugly brownish champagne color :sick:

to find an 1880 or any proof morgan with fully struck hair over the ear and with deeply contrasted frosty devices and watery mirrors with original undipped and great eye appealling natural toning from an original cased set is a truly rare bird indeed for a proof morgan

What is the easiest date ? PF65 CAMEO will do me

My guess would be 1898. That year saw many nice cameo proof coins across all the silver series, not just Morgan dollars. It probably would be the ideal "proof year" type set to create.

Here is a Link to a rather nice one IMO

Harv, my birthday is in August, but you could always buy it a little early for me.

Chris