• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I really, really, really, REALLY, want a PROOF Morgan

57 posts in this topic

Damn! I want one of those sooooooooo bad, it hurts.

But I just cannot afford one.

Anyone here have a proof Morgan they'd like to post???

I'd love to have a PR67/68 Deep Cameo. :cloud9: The 1895 would be nice in this grade. :juggle:

................and how many zeros are you going to put after the 5?

Chris

Why lust after a proof when so many DMPL coins are available and they pretty much look the same at a fraction of the price? hm

Just wondering...Proofless Morgan Mike

i once saw a superb gem strongly cameoed original cased set monster toned both sides PROOF morgan without one nick or hairline both sides miles deep liquid mirrors unlike any dmpl

the dmpl looks like mess compared to a proof coin like the above

I'd love to have a PR67/68 Deep Cameo. :cloud9: The 1895 would be nice in this grade. :juggle:

................and how many zeros are you going to put after the 5?

Chris

:roflmao:

There was an astounding 1895 in an NGC 66 CAM holder in the Scotsman sale a few months ago, but it collected a big fat premium.

I'd like to have one too, but just one for type purposes.

It's surprising just how many of them are quite ugly, not due to problems, but just because they don't naturally tone very nicely, in my experience.

james is absolutely correct!!!!!

rare to find true gem monster attractively totally ORIGINAL cased set toned morgans that have not been dipped and/or hairlined to death

all the demand is currently for the ugly dipped white ones with the fugly brown/champagne rim toning from dip residue

keep dipping them boys only makes my original cased set killed toned proof morgan even better!!

i agree with having a high-grade DMPL to satisfy your fix. maybe cherrypick a primo 66 with deep cameo contrast from a hoard of lesser ones, and you'll get a lot of joy out of it!

i agree with having a high-grade DMPL to satisfy your fix. maybe cherrypick a primo 66 with deep cameo contrast from a hoard of lesser ones, and you'll get a lot of joy out of it!

I am sorry it is just NOT the same :)

(Chris and Bob Knew I would pipe in on this one huh :) )

Originally this was NOT given a cameo designation but I convinced them otherwise.

I love this coin ...

57210-1.jpg.da6364c5871ce6c2ec8e6287774d4dd2.jpg

57211-2.jpg.54bbac798bb11f81e3e7c7c33f5ecf31.jpg

Nice face - the wing is a little distracting but WONDERFUL coin . I am sure you were glad to borrow it for a while before passing it along :)

I was wondering how long it would take you to find your photo in the archives.

Michael is right. DMPL's don't hold a candle to a proof Morgan. However, I have recently discovered a source for some high-grade DMPL's, so I don't have to feel too bad about not having a proof specimen. I will be able to drown my sorrows in my dimples.

Chris

Michael is right. DMPL's don't hold a candle to a proof Morgan. However, I have recently discovered a source for some high-grade DMPL's, so I don't have to feel too bad about not having a proof specimen. I will be able to drown my sorrows in my dimples.

Chris

Do you need a rear view mirror to see them :roflmao:

Chris

Do you need a rear view mirror to see them :roflmao:

Only when I'm in reverse or on a rotary.

Chris

ode to a proof morgan

tender proof morgan

how i pine for your symbolic beauty in the full faced miss liberty

looking full and well fed and also robust

showing the growing power of the usa

land of the free and home of the brave

beautiful morgan you are sublime in your deeply mirrored proof cameo state

and are the true king of silver proof 19th century coinage

how delicious and wanted you are needed by every type collector

why are you so beautiful?

and yet so affordable..........................................

my proof morgan sweetie :foryou:

please i beg you collectors

do not dip me and make me look brillant and brownish champagne edge toned from a rotten dipping

keep me beautiful original and problem free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my

my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my my

If you are able to buy the coins in your core collection economically, you could trade up and then buy them again. I do that somewhat with my collection though not as much as I could and probably should.

Is that yours James ... Nice Date what is that a PF61 ?? or RAW

If only it was mine! No, it's the NGC PF-66 CAM I cataloged a few months ago. The images does not do it justice.

Is that yours James ... Nice Date what is that a PF61 ?? or RAW

If only it was mine! No, it's the NGC PF-66 CAM I cataloged a few months ago. The images does not do it justice.

Eeeks I do not agree with that grade at all unless all those marks are on the holder

Yep, the holder was scuffy. Actually, the coin really only had two minor luster grazes on the cheek. The fields were clean as a whistle, though the image makes it appear that they are scuffed. What was amazing about the coin was that it was close to DCAM to me, and the strike was simply amazing.

Mike, I have been saving for a proof Morgan (1892) for a long time. It seems like the price rises faster than the savings account :( As soon as I sell off the stff I have lost interest in I hope to nudge a little closer :)

Yep, the holder was scuffy. Actually, the coin really only had two minor luster grazes on the cheek. The fields were clean as a whistle, though the image makes it appear that they are scuffed. What was amazing about the coin was that it was close to DCAM to me, and the strike was simply amazing.

I was going to attempt to do a redesingation review for DCAM my self BUT ... NGC and I are not on speaking terms right now ... hence a lot of unloading of inventory.

But that is a different story posted in an earlier post.

james is absolutely correct!!!!!

rare to find true gem monster attractively totally ORIGINAL cased set toned morgans that have not been dipped and/or hairlined to death

all the demand is currently for the ugly dipped white ones with the fugly brown/champagne rim toning from dip residue

keep dipping them boys only makes my original cased set killed toned proof morgan even better!!

Pictures are necessary! You seem to have a lot of amazing coins, if only you had pictures to go with them. (And I just about fell out of my chair after reading your ode, that was great!)

thanks physics

sorry i am still stuck in the 19th century so no photos

and you are a good true numismatist as from all your posts; you are off to a great start

i might see you at a show sometime to show you something but i rarely have anything left as most are gone to finance the education, care and feeding of orphan children in the pacific rim and one in particular in nigeria

michael...would you just go out and buy yourself a cannon? or at least get yourself a good scanner and scan in color high res. darn..i want to see your coins too!!!!