• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You want controversy!! You can't handle the controversy!!!!!!!!!!

98 posts in this topic

I think that my problem with the "junk" appellation (for MS62) is with the attitude of some dealers who teach some of these seminars. They do not seem to respect we wee, unimportant, unenlightened peasants (read customers)who work for a living and save meaningful sums of our pitiful incomes. All this to buy the most expensive coins that we can afford and keep some of these magnificent, omnipotent specimins of the coin dealer population in business. To have these same high and mighty potentates label as junk the (MS62) coins that they charge us such significant prices for makes me want to retch. I would prefer that, instead of selling coins to me, to have them bask in their reflected glory using the full length mirrors that they must have in their homes. sign-rantpost.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Hoot

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Grade is not necessarily the same as Quality.

Therefore you can have [!@#%^&^] MS62's and great MS62's (I just got one the other day in fact). Hell, I've seen [!@#%^&^] MS66's does that mean MS66's are all junk? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hopefully some of the potential collectors who stick with this hobby long enough will see through the NOISE being pitched by the "snake oil" salesmen. Unfortunately, I afraid many of these potential collectors will throw up their hands and give up after being taken for a ride....

jom

I think that my problem with the "junk" appellation (for MS62) is with the attitude of some dealers who teach some of these seminars. They do not seem to respect we, wee, unimportant, unenlightened peasants (read customers)who work for a living and save meaningful sums of our pitiful incomes. All this to buy the most expensive coins that we can afford and keep some of these magnificent, omnipotent specimins of the coin dealer population in business. To have these same high and mighty potentates label as junk the (MS62) coins that they charge us such significant prices for makes me want to retch. I would prefer that, instead of selling coins to me, to have them bask in their reflected glory using the full length mirrors that they must have in their homes. sign-rantpost.gif

(Attached) is another wretched, piece of junk (MS62) Type III, gold dollar shown only to make you consider striking yourself blind as you gaze upon this wretched MS62 coin that should have never seen the light of day.

Charlie, you're definitely not just a wee, little collector. I've seen your trimes, remember? You are respected as an advanced collector and your input always contributes to the whole. thumbsup2.gif

Wow!!! What a post!!!

You know, I think it's really evident by now, that there is this contigency of wheeler dealers whose total goal is to take the public for a ride to see how much money and 'power' they can collect. They push and they advertise and they walk all over people touting their horn and making it like they're the king of the jungle (no offense to your logo, Leo). You know who I'm talking about.

Sometimes I think I'm being too harsh in my judgement, but all I have to do is reflect on how they belittle and try to control, and manipulate our perceptions and how we spend our money and on what and for what reason, that I begin to feel like I've had too much mercy on them.

The initial coin posted is a product of this charlatanism.

I understand and appreciate the phrase 'buy the coin and not the holder' but I'd like to do it without the nuisance of high minded bigwigs forever touting their horn blasting in my face. I'd also like to have representatives of the 'higher front' to look up to and not feel disgust with when I view them or read their self serving 'guidance' reports. Buy this sell that hold that and get rid of everything under MS65 or whatever. Shove it.

Have I said enough? Am I pissed as xxxx? You bet I am!

And who am I?

I'm a collector!

Victor: The rant wasn't intended to reflect on you. Please don't take offense. I just feel that we all have different collecting tastes, priorities and budgets. Surely mine have changed greatly over the years.

Dealers certainly have the right to choose marketing segments to which they direct their inventory and sales efforts. What they don't have is the right to denigrate me, my collection or my collecting tastes. Fortunately, I have directed most of my savings toward the college education of my three children (1-PhD. & 2-BA's). The best investment that money can buy! However, had I spent that money on coins, I would have one hxll of a collection.

Peace, Victor.

UPDATE:

I was in Salt Lake City this weekend and talked with a major jefferson nickel expert, probably one of the top 10. He actually viewed the so called die trial in Baltimore. His conclusion: questionable.

bottom line: let's be careful out there

TRUTH

Hey Truth, that is some fascinating information. Thanks for sharing it. For some reason though, I did not pass out or fall out of my chair when I read your post. Maybe I am getting numb to the incredulous and potentially criminal activities of PCGS? confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW, James and I discussed this purported Felix Schlag "trinket" last week and agreed it was most likely a recently "manufactured" piece. A close friend of mine owns a die shop in Michigan. He has EDM machines, lathes, mills, laser scan heads, reverse engineering tools, etc., etc. He even owns a 60 ton die tryout press. With his equipment, he could easily make coins. It would be difficult to mint counterfeit coins used for circulation, since we could compare his counterfeits to the real thing and they could be distinguished from each other. However, if he decided to strike a fantasy piece that is "unique", then what would the experts compare it to? That must have been the thought process of the slug who made this supposed Schlag die trial. SHAME!

To me, PCGS rendered their "professional" opinion in the most wanton of ways by slabbing that fake Schlag piece of junk. 893naughty-thumb.gif