• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lamination Errors. Values?

9 posts in this topic

Lamination Errors. Values?

How does one put a value on these types of errors?

I just came across a 1968 Rosie still in mint cello with a nice little lamination error on the rev. (pictures will be coming) and was wondering what the value might be on something like this.

It depends. If it is a small lamination, the value is not affected much, and will probably actually go down. However, if it is a large lamination, or spectacular or interesting in any way, then you could probably get a decent amount for it. We're not talking big money here, probably something like ten or twenty bucks.

I am not familiar with "Lamination Errors" can you please explain.

Thanks,

Rey

A coin with a fragment of metal missing or peeled off the coin's surface is termed as a lamination error. This rare minting effect is caused by dirt or gas trapped in the strip as it is rolled out to the prescribed thickness. Lamination errors may be missing or attached to the coin's surface. In the case of clad coins, the outer layer may be completely or partially missing on one or both sides.

think that is best way to describe them

anyone one else care to chime in?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, RGT. As for the lincolns shown - the 62 is likely not worth a premium at all, as it is a fairly small lamination. The 82 is also probably not worth much, as that was the year that the mint switched compositions. Errors of this type are extremely common this year as the mint was trying to perfect its method of plating copper over the zinc core. You will often see little bubbles all over the surface of 82 zinc cents. The 61, however, looks like a pretty good lamination. That one might fetch a premium (if you can find the right person to buy it). This is my best lamination, I got it from RI AL. Its an Australian half penny.

australia.jpg

I find when you buy lamination errors from a dealer they add a premium and when you go to sell it to a dealer they subtract any previously paid premium and more and call it a lamination defect.