• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

collectors only..........what do you do with your buying mistakes??

32 posts in this topic

Michael , one man's mistake is another man's dream .

To you the coin is not worthy of whatever grade someone placed on it , to another person it may be well within their parameters for what they are looking for.

Keep that in mind . Disclose your opinions when you decide to sell , but keep in mind that if a buyer wants that particular coin with no regard to a grading opinion , they will still want to own that coin.

I , in particular ,also collect on the side , a set of cleaned coins . This 'problem' coin set is made up mostly of early commems , as most were at some point cleaned or wiped down . This set is not expensive , and I can get /or have gotten many interesting commem designs this way . As this set is just for me , I do not display it to people who are too sensitive to get over the 'problems' ...I know these have small issues , but enjoy looking at them none the less VERSUS not owning any at all ...plus I don't worry about dropping them .

I have a few other odd-ball sets that I have put together for my own enjoyment outside of the insanity of what people are paying for some of the high-end stuff out there like a Seated coinage set made entirely of bent coins...some of these would have been grade-worthy if some donk somewhere along the way didn't bend them , but they are indeed UGLY , but sure has been FUNNY and fun to find them and put a set together this way.

If you are worried about a loss of funding that might be difficult to recoup from this particular purchase , at least try to find a buyer that would love to own the coin in spite of what may seem to be a major issue to you . You might be surprised and get most or all of your funding out of it .

Regardless of what ya decide , my opinion would be for you to rid yourself of it as soon as possible , but in a careful way so you don't work against yourself and lose out ....it apparently is not making you happy , so consider offering it openly to someone that would be happy to own it as it is ?