• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone else notice.....

17 posts in this topic

that half dimes made substantial jumps in the latest Quarterly edition of the Greysheet?

Are the mint state grades the next ones to jump?

Is the secret that these coins are really neat out, and the series ready to catch fire and take off?

Or is it just ho-hum, they went up in price, big deal.

I know there are at least 3 or 4 half dime collectors here, so this thread should be hoppin'!!!!!!

Here's a picture of one for a board member to see.

Taro, I can't locate my old sheet with the old prices (did I throw it in the trash??!!) but virtually every date has a plus sign in every circulated grade, and they start to taper off at ms/60, and fewer still at ms/63, 64 and 65.

One I know is the 1866-s which bid for $300 in ms/60, and is now at $325 in the same grade.

Seated dimes and quarters have similar plus signs in vf and xf grades, right through each series. I know seated halves have been moving quite well, and now it seems the other seated series have followed suit, or a move is being made to find new material.

Proof examples in half dimes and dimes have some noticeable jumps also.

Hey Jeremy, thanks for the pic help!!!!! That's an 1849/6 half dime

Michael,

Let me "borrow" that 1860 half dime, for just a couple of years. Not a lifetime, but a couple of years. I'll even pay rent! smile.gif

Yeah Taro,

It was buried quick, but there were some good comments left there.

Folks,

Don't peg your pricing decisions on CDN. The rule of the game is that any superlative piece of any series will command strong money, even in a weak market.

The numbers indicated in CDN is for average, problem-free pieces that are solid for the grade. As for "problem-free", that's a loaded term if ever there was one. CDN's definition of problem-free is insufficient if you're looking for superlative specimens.

The plus signs are nice, but the market itself has already dictated that CDN is unrealistic for the discriminating buyer. Moreover, Quarterly lags considerably!

EVP

I was looking at a 2000 edition of greysheet and bust 1/2 dimes from 1829 to 1837 in MS65 were exactly that same price as today. There has been no price improvement in over 3 years. Maybe now is their time.

when virtually the whole series shows plus signs I think that sends a little message

Yes, it sends a message. But, it's anyone's guess what that message really is. For example, is the series being hoarded/hyped? Or, is CDN just catching up to market pricing after a very long lag? I can think of many more questions, some of which stem from my ignorance of CDN's data methodology.

Personally, I would look at CDN data as well as CWT, selected dealer FPL and auction PRL information. Put them all together and you'll get a decent picture. For Seated Half Dimes, your best bet is to look at JJ Teaparty, DLRC and Alpine FPL's and see if they've gone up in price. The circ stuff would be hard to look up from auction archives, but I'd give Heritage's lesser auction sales a shot.

EVP

[edited to add that CDN is just a single data point, and I am skeptical of any conclusions drawn from a single, uncorroborated source.]

One or two dealers can skew the CDN for a couple issues. Let's see how prices play out over the next few issues and auctions. Half dimes have not exactly set the world on fire with price gains over the past several years.