• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do you collect what you collect?

15 posts in this topic

I collect the whole gamut of US Coins, Patterns, some 18th and 19th century British coins, Ancient coins and my newest interest, Civil War Tokens, they go very nicely with the medals that I buy when I can't find those undergraded slabbed coins that I like so well (I own a lot of medals).

I think I collect them because I like the history associated with coins AND some of what I collect looks kinda nice for being as old as it is. (But my wife, who never believed my coins were actually worth anything until I paid for my daughter's Master degree with 1 coin, says being certifiably crazy has more to do with it than the history.)

Feel Free to Post pictures so we can SEE why you collect what you collect.

I like rare and desirable coins and tokens and can't afford to spend a lot of money. This has resulted in looking in non traditional places for rarity. One of my favorite collections is of telephone tokens. Common telephone tokens have populations of a few hundred.

It's also nice being able to find "important" collectibles at flea markets and in pocket change.

I have more Mercs than any other in my collection. I suppose this is because as a boy I was interested in mythology and these were actually one of the first "out-of-circulation" coins that my grandfather showed me which sparked my interest. As a child it was easy to think of the obverse as Mercury or Hermes.

I use to collect all US fractional coins, and finally settled on Silver Eagle Proofs mainly because the gold and platinum is out of my range. I do have a few, but small denomination.

It seems there is enough interest at least for me in staying with the Eagles. I have found many varieties given they have been made at every major mint, P, S, W. They are really great looking pieces of art. It really is interesting to see the quality improvment over the years. I wonder though how the wear quality would be if put in circulation.

Steve

I like type coins and coins, medals, and tokens with trees on them. Large cents and Lincolns are among my favorite coins. Lincolns because I could find them all the way back to 1909 when

I was a kid. Never any real rare finds. And large cents because they just seemed so cool when I first saw one. I mean, there was a chunk of copper. I think I like tree coins because I remember reading about Pine Tree shillings when I was a kid. I was probably 10 years old reading about a coin over 300 years old.

It was like magic then. mdwoods

My 6 year old godson just started to learn how to count change. He has a particular interest in the State Quarters becuase there are so many different ones and he gets to go through his parents change every night. I bought him a PCGS PR69 DCAM OHIO and he loved it. So together we started collecting a set of Clad PR69 DCAMs. Ever since then we have been going through change and occasionally I even sneak him away to the coin store!! Although he doesn't exactly understand the numbers he does like looking for quarters that read PR69 DCAM. He gets so excited when he finds one we don't have. I get so queasy when I see some of the prices that the stores are asking.

I myself have been collecting Walker, Frankie and Kenndy Halfs, plus Silver Eagles.

Other than the Mint & Proof sets I collect - I only collect coins with a design that appeals to me. In other words - if I think it looks good - I buy it.

Now this leads me to collect a from fairly wide spectrum. I love Spanish colonials - always have. But I also collect many different world gold coins with a silver one thrown in now n then.

There are a few US series that I collect but most of those are complete. Other than that - I seldom collect by series. But I have been toying with the idea of collecting - rather trying to collect - as much of the series of Dutch gold ducats as I can. But this series was minted for over 400 years. That's a lot of collecting 893whatthe.gif

Other than the Mint & Proof sets I collect - I only collect coins with a design that appeals to me. In other words - if I think it looks good - I buy it. /quote]

Sounds like a great way to collect coins - buy the ones you like!

There are a few US series that I collect but most of those are complete. Other than that - I seldom collect by series. But I have been toying with the idea of collecting - rather trying to collect - as much of the series of Dutch gold ducats as I can. But this series was minted for over 400 years. That's a lot of collecting 893whatthe.gif

Yeah - I know what you mean - I just starting collecting Civil War Tokens, and although they were only made for about 4 years, there are about 10,000 coins, counting all of the different metals and varieties. I've been collecting coins for over 50 years, so I guess this'll keep me busy for another 50 years shocked.gif

I personally stick to MS FS Jeffersons. Did have a 32 count Jeff proof set going but I lost interest and that was in another post. I started out back in the early 60's going to our local (only) bank where they would allow me to go through each and every penny in their entire roll inventory. Trusted me enough to let me go behind the counter and sit at a desk. Always replaced any I pulled out. I remember finding a 1909-S and a 1955 Libierty. Don't remember what I did with all that I found and do not know why I quit (probably some other kid-thing of interest: no graemlin for THEM!).

The MS FS Jefferson series is almost right on 180 coins if you don't count type differences, RPMs, DD's, etc. and always a challenge to upgrade either grade and/or step count. When the "new" Jeff makes an appearance, I have heard no hard and solid truth about staying with that design or going back to the present one. Will be interesting either way.

And a BIG sales bumper for the album makers!

I also have started collecting (since 1999) all the forms of US Mint sets produced and the silver proof American Eagle $1 coins. Beautiful! That is my next series to get all of.

David