• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln Assasination Token

12 posts in this topic

Just got this back from NGC

Graded MS66RB-PL

It's an 1865 Lincoln Assasination Token (King-266)

Obverse shows what looks like a weeping willow tree over a burial Urn on a casket - The Obv legend is "A Sigh, the Absent Claim, the Dead, A Tear.

The Rev Says: "Abm. Lincoln President of the US" - "Died April 15, 1865 BY THE HANDS OF A REBEL ASSASSIN"

Anybody know what this might be worth? - (It's nicer than the photos)

291538-HPIM0063rev2.jpg.cb642e6e68fe6a102c3328ee61e716a4.jpg

I don't know value but it is cool! And it's got some great die cracks on the obverse to boot! (I think) Michael

Yes it does have die cracks at 3 o'clock & 7 o'clock - its about the size of a 1/2 dollar, I bought it because of its Historical interest - probably struck in the months after the Assisination, and maybe for several years thereafter. Could also have been struck for Lincoln's burial, which took place sometime after the assasination. I think in took about 2 weeks for the funeral train to get to Illinois from Washington.

I alos have some William Idler Coin Dealer tokens - (of the 1804 $1 Idler speciman fame), and another of Cogan, one of the earliest coin dealers, both from Philadelphia with access to the US Mint.

I would think that Bill Jones on this forum or njcoincrank on the PCGS forum might be able to help you with value and/or rarity of the piece.

It is very attractive and quite cool.

I think BillJones my have owned a similar Lincoln Assassination token at one time, & I think that he knows something about them - I was actually hoping he would give me some info on this token - so if he's reading this any info would be helpful

Ahhh the difficulty of language, or how to say what you really mean in 5 words or less - how about: "which took place at some LATER time . . ., and not IMMEDIATELY after ... , so that the die cutter had time to make a die and strike the token so it would be available for the actual internment of the body which occurred several weeks later"- In other words for presentation at the burial ceremony which occurred several weeks after Lincoln was assassinated - make more sense? 893whatthe.gif

(My wife say I have no idea what I'm saying - If I understood, she'd be right!) tongue.gif

Ahhh the difficulty of language, or how to say what you really mean in 5 words or less...

sign-funnypost.gif Heh heh, sorry for running you up the flagpole. I couldn't resist. It reminded me of when I say something inane and realize it just as the final word vibrates my vocal chords.

tonofbricks.gif

I know that I have called "an expert" here, but my interests run toward political campaign pieces, not pieces that were issued after an assasination or after a president's time in office had ended.

This piece does not look to be a U.S. mint product given the wording. The mint did issue the famous "broken column" tokens which did refer to the assasination. One version of that piece continues to be issued, and only the early ones from the 1860's and '70s, with the 19th century finish, have any real value.

I'd say that this piece was first struck in the mid 1860's probably not long after the assasination. The wording indicates the "bloody shirt" political rhetoric (e.g. "died by the hands of a rebel") that the used from the 1860s until the 1880's and even beyond. I wish I could spot a designers mark on this one, but I can't. That would make it easier to date.

This is just a guess, but I'd say that this piece is worth $50 to $75. It would be worth more if it had a Lincoln portrait. It would also bring more if it had been issued during the 1860 and 1864 presidental campaigns. All of these pieces have gone up dramatically in price over the past 4 or 5 years. The most common one is the Civil War token with Lincoln on the obverse and the "OK" on the reverse (CWT 127/248). Ten years ago that piece sold for about $8 in EF. Today you can't touch an undamaged one for less than $80.