• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Do You Prefer?

34 posts in this topic

Whew, what a choice! Are they both yours?

I would have to go with the silver (dollar?) though. I think that the obverse and reverse match better on that one.

They are both spectacular coins! :D

Whew, what a choice! Are they both yours?

Both on the way to me to take a look at. :)

I would have to go with the silver (dollar?) though. I think that the obverse and reverse match better on that one.

It is a S$1 and I can see your point. I'm an EAC Member and copper is king. ;)

They are both spectacular coins! :D

No doubt!! :)

That would be a tough choice without inspecting the surfaces in-hand. The dollar is likely the easier of the two to replace in the current state of preservation, but the cent might have a slightly more limited pool of potential buyers when or if you have to liquidate. In my opinion, the cent's surfaces are just a tad too rough to make the case for that piece since I value surface preservation at this grade level to a high degree.

They are both apparently wonderful coins according to the pics. I really like them both but would choose the dollar over the cent if I couldn't have both of them. (thumbs u

Edit: Sticking with the topic of coins and the question at hand, proposed by the OP Leeg...I'm kinda partial to Anne Bingham's gorgeous hair & profile. :blush:

Although I love the look of the $1, Im a copper guy. The cent just does something to me. Id go with the copper piece.

Both though are amazing coins & probably awesome in hand.

Since I have a 1796 Liberty Head Right Large Cent, I would choose the Dollar. If I did not have one of that type, I would choose the Large Cent!

Scott :hi:

Hoping they arrive today but I've got to work so may not be home to receive them. :( Appreciate everyones thoughts up to this point!! (thumbs u Here is the sellers descriptions:

1795 PL EDGE 1C PCGS VF25 | S-78, R-1 Extremely pleasing circulated example of Liberty cap large cent. Surface texture and color are just right at this grade level.

1799 B-14, R-3 S$1 PCGS VF35 | B-14, R-3 - Totally original and very near xf. The grade could easily have gone either way as the coin is completely wholesome.

I'm also leaning towards the S$1. :)

I would take the large cent for sure. In that kind of a nice middle grade, they are nearly impossible to find, while a bust dollar like that, especially 1799, shows up by the score in any average auction.

'boob' OR no 'boob' that is the question you are asking right :makepoint:

Hmm Can I say that ... look aweful funny if I get spooned :)

I will take the 'boobed'

From an esthetic point of view, the dollar is the nicer looking coin. BUT if you are interested in putting together a set of early type coins, the cent is FAR harder to locate in that state of preservation.

Many early cents were beat to death in circulation because of wide-spread use. Cents circulated far more than the early dollars, which often spent time in bank vaults. Cents also were stuck in such a way that their devices were prone to rapid wear. Without any protective rims to speak of, the tops of the letting around rims rapidly took on wear. And a fair number of early cents are weak in the center, with the words “ONE CENT” sometime illegible. AND if plain old wear did not ruin them corrosion often got them.

So, if I had a choice my strategy would be this. If you are looking for just one early type coin, the dollar would be your choice. If you have visions of going for a group of early type coins, the cent would be your choice. The dollar can be easily located and replaced. All it takes is money. The cent requires money and the luck of being in the right place to buy it.

Old time time collectors used call 1795 plain edge cents "common." The days during which those coins were commonly found at most any decent sized coin show have long since passed.

I don't know enough about either of these series to answer the question but they are mighty fine looking coins. Just think of the history they have seen or even been a part of....

If you made me pick I'd say the Dollar...

I'd like hoot to chime in on the cent. I think the surfaces are a little scudzy and need oiling and brushing. It might be a great coin then. Otherwise, I'd go with the dollar. I just sold a duplicate 1799 dollar last month. It was only F12 though.

--Jerry

I truly appreciate everyone chiming in on these two. Both coins arrived today right before I left for work. Here is an image of the 1795 Cent:

DSCN5553A.jpg

DSCN5553.jpg

DSCN5555.jpg