• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you tell the diffrence between PF & BS Barber 5c's

7 posts in this topic

Hi all i have just picked up a no cents 1883 5c and it is circulated and damaged unfortunately :mad: but it seems to have some mirroring to the fields (will not show up in my scans). which made me think ? Is there a way to tell if you have a circulated PF one of these

18832.jpg

188322.jpg

cheers dooly :devil:

I don't know which of these you think might be a proof, but it is definitely not the one on the left. The one on the right doesn't look like a proof in my opinion either, it is probably more likely cleaned in some way that it shouldn't have been. Granted, I'm not a nickel expert, I just happened to respond first.

Proofs normally have wire rims, sharp denticles and sharp edges on the letters. Plus, most Lib. nickel proofs that I have seen have some contrast between mirror fields and devices.

The 1883 N/C is almost certainly THE most common "prooflike" Liberty nickel. Neither of these examples appears to be a proof, however. Dentilation on a proof is exceptionally sharp.

I don't think either is a proof, but the second coin has an exceptional strike for a business strike 1883.

Yep! i know shame its only good enough to go in my Dansco 7070 (but it was only $10)