• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange looking Danish coin opinions please

4 posts in this topic

This is a 1842 3 Rigsbankskilling KM# 729 which i have found in a job lot of coins and should be 1.5190g., 0.2290 Silver

but the Reverse seems to be Copper and the Obverse seems to have a sliver wash

1842.jpg

1842o.jpg

i have found this one on eBay

797a_1.jpg

790f_1.jpg

It seems point less for this coin to have been faked with such a low value ?

I have also found out that there are few of the danish coins from this date which were made as pattens from unusual mixes

Pn E54 1842 1/5 Rigsbankskilling GOLD PLATED SILVER

Pn A55 1842 32 Rigsbankskilling COPPER struck at Altona

Ect

any ideas anyone

Here is the key point

should be 1.5190g., 0.2290 Silver

20% silver 80% copper Technically it is described as being a billion coin (any silver alloy with less than 50% silver is a billion alloy.) Coins with that low a content of silver will usually have a dark copper color. Usually before the coins are struck the planchets are "pickled" in an acid solution to disolve the surface copper raising the surface fineness to a much higher level and a silver appearance. This give the planchet a sightly porous surface but that is taken care of by the striking of the coin which smooths the surfaces nicely.

But since this is only a surface finish it does not hold up under much circulation at all and the coin quickly returns to its darker copper appearance, and the higher the copper content the faster the silver color disappears.

What a difference an "i" makes! ;)

A "billion" is a thousand million in the US or a million million in the UK.

"Billon" is any precious metal (usually silver) alloy with more than 50% base metal.