• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original package vs. Graded version....

6 posts in this topic

Hi All;

I am just curious what the feelings are about keeping coins original versus having the coins removed from original package. I only collect proof coins, and see many slabbed coins these days, but I feel that factory original has always been worth more than modified versions. In fact, so many proof sets have been cracked open that original proof sets probably will raise in value at the current rate.

Anyway, I am curious as to what the thoughts are from the fellow coin collectors here on my thoughts about original. The only slabbed coins I own are Pedigree sets, and not many of them. Everything else is as it left the Mint. I think some mystery should stay with the coin as to what it would grade. Leaves a little to talk about. Any thoughts?

Steve

It depends. Not all original containers are suitable for long term storage of coins. I generally prefer to keep the coins in their original packaging, but I make exceptions now with regard to original packaging.

As for the price going up on original old proof sets and mint sets that are intact... Well, it has gone up some but remember than most of the choice coins have already long since been taken out. What remains is generally not the best. And in the old double mint sets, who knows how many "replacement" coins are in them.

But like many parts of collecting, to each their own.

Sometimes it makes sense, and sometimes it doesn't. The coin below came from a $7 set, and I thought it exceptional for a 71. It helps to have NGC agree that it is the nicest one they've ever graded. If I ever decide to sell the coin, NGC's opinion will carry more weight than my own.

happyjack3.jpg