• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just picked up a Young head Cent whats its N Number please

19 posts in this topic

Hi all :hi:

i have just picked up this Large cent 1838 from eBay and i have looked on NGC registry and See there are 16 -N's related to this coin.

Can anyone tell me which this coin is from these crappy (sellers) pictures.. and what are the pointers.. to the N

Thanks dooly :devil:

db59_1.jpg

dd0a_1.jpg

Dooly,

Just like half cents have Cohen numbers and EAC's have Sheldon numbers later large cents have Newcomb numbers(thus the N-XX notation) which I assume attribute the coin as to its different die pairs and such. I do not currently have a copy of Newcomb's book so I cannot help you as to its attribution, but hang in there as surely someone will respond. Nice coin.

Jim

The differences between varieties in the 1838 cents is slight compared with earlier dates. As a result, I can't attribute it from pictures this poor (and I tried). Sorry...Mike

Those seller's pics are pretty poor, dooly. Shoot the forum some inhand when they arrive and I figure you will get your question answered. Hang in there.

Jim

The differences between varieties in the 1838 cents is slight compared with earlier dates. As a result, I can't attribute it from pictures this poor (and I tried). Sorry...Mike

Cheers mike will rescan it as soon as it gets hear from Scotland Cheers

Can you post larger photos? They are nice scans, but need to be a touch larger for me to be sure of the attribution....

To confirm/deny the N-1. Three questions: 1) Does the 1 in the date show a bold double peak (I can't see one in the scan, but it does look "larger" than normal)? 2) Can you see clearly the "bottom" of the crown below L in LIBERTY showing as a thin wavy line (the scan is inconclusive)? 3) Does the the reverse the I in UNITED should show repunching to the left (doesn't look like it from the scan)? On an N-1 the answer to those three questions is "Yes".

In general, to attribute the 1838 varieties (and eliminate roughly half of the varieties), take a look at the letter E in liberty... On an N-1, the E in LIBERTY should also show some repair -- called the "broken E" variety and easiest to identify by the top left serif on E being weak, compared to the "perfect E" which is undamaged and strong in this area.

All that said, your coin is clearly has a broken E. Therefore, it is either a N-1, 4-10, or 14. Beyond that I can't be sure...

You might take a look at the N-1 here for the attributes described above: http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=416&Lot_No=187#Photo and compare them to your coin.

Alternatively, if you could posts photos (900+ pixels square each), I should be able to confirm attribution, but with the above info and the coin in-hand you should be able to rule in or out your coin being an N-1 fairly quickly....Mike

Can you post larger photos? They are nice scans, but need to be a touch larger for me to be sure of the attribution....

To confirm/deny the N-1. Three questions: 1) Does the 1 in the date show a bold double peak (I can't see one in the scan, but it does look "larger" than normal)? 2) Can you see clearly the "bottom" of the crown below L in LIBERTY showing as a thin wavy line (the scan is inconclusive)? 3) Does the the reverse the I in UNITED should show repunching to the left (doesn't look like it from the scan)? On an N-1 the answer to those three questions is "Yes".

In general, to attribute the 1838 varieties (and eliminate roughly half of the varieties), take a look at the letter E in liberty... On an N-1, the E in LIBERTY should also show some repair -- called the "broken E" variety and easiest to identify by the top left serif on E being weak, compared to the "perfect E" which is undamaged and strong in this area.

All that said, your coin is clearly has a broken E. Therefore, it is either a N-1, 4-10, or 14. Beyond that I can't be sure...

You might take a look at the N-1 here for the attributes described above: http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=416&Lot_No=187#Photo and compare them to your coin.

Alternatively, if you could posts photos (900+ pixels square each), I should be able to confirm attribution, but with the above info and the coin in-hand you should be able to rule in or out your coin being an N-1 fairly quickly....Mike

Great information mike hear are some close up scans

DATE:-

Scanned upside down

1838dd.jpg

right way up

1838d.jpg

Looks like a double peak to me

Bottom of the crown

Upside down Scan

1838ll.jpg

Right way up

1838l.jpg

I would say it is straight not wavy !

United

1838u.jpg

the I seems to have some repunching to the left but because of the Dirt&weak strike it is very hard to see

Thanks again for your time and effort and i will post some scans once it has been conserved

dooly :devil:

Hoot was right (it's an N-1). Hoot must die! :D

I think he could attribute a large cent with the photo this big ----> o

(Before Hoot answers, it's a 1793 s-3) ;)

Well done, my friend....Mike

Cheers chappys !! (thumbs u

So i am now the proud owner of a N-1 "it's all good"

what a wealth of knowledge we are blessed with on this site

NCS next..

Hey, Dooly.

Actually, I think there are 14 varieties of the 1838 cent in Newcomb's book. I'm not too good at this, but I THINK I have limited the possibilities to N5 or N8. I'm hoping Conder101 or other "wicked smart guy" will help me out here. My eyes aren't good enough yet to count the leaves in the wreath but so far...I'm voting for N8.

RI AL

Well, DARN. I guess I should read all the posts in a thread before I stick my big nose in. I'm afraid I've muddied the waters a bit on the 1838 cent. I didn't think it was an N1 because I don't think the L and I in LIBERTY are joined...but it is hard to tell. I'm still liking N-8 but heaven knows, I've been wrong before!

RI AL

Well, DARN. I guess I should read all the posts in a thread before I stick my big nose in. I'm afraid I've muddied the waters a bit on the 1838 cent. I didn't think it was an N1 because I don't think the L and I in LIBERTY are joined...but it is hard to tell. I'm still liking N-8 but heaven knows, I've been wrong before!

RI AL

so we have a differing opinion.. oh! its getting interesting.. i have counted 27 leaves you are also correct that the L & I in LIBERTY are not joined.

hope this helps