• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RANT!

37 posts in this topic

I have asked if the coin was cleaned and get such answers as :

1. It is just as I bought it and I didn;t clean it.

2. How would I know. The person I bought it from never told me it was cleaned.

3. Coins that old have probably been cleaned.

I bought a coin recently from a dealer outside E Bay and the Dealer advertised that all coins were graded by Photograde and when I specifivally asked was told the coin had not been cleaned. It had been cleaned.

The fact that they answer your questions doesn;t necessarily mean anything.

When I purchase a coin, I always asked if the coin has been cleaned, is there any toning, or marks that are not apparent or visible in the pictures.

I guess that the questions to ask is:

1)Does it appear to have been cleaned?

2)Is the photo of the actual coin?

Then you hold out both hands. You hope in one that you will get an honest reply.You take a dump in the other and see which one fills up the fastest.

Now, I don't know where you bought the coin, but a lot of sellers might not be able to tell an old cleaning, and many more would never suspect a certified coin could be cleaned (hush). So in some regard, its PCGS's fault for net grading an otherwise VG coin ro G-6, rather than bodybagging it.

This happened to me recently on an 1815 NGC F-12 Bust Quarter. The coin was advertised by a very prominent and popular online dealer as "choice original," an the coin looked VF25 all day long! So it was a no brainer; I bough it. But when it came, the beautiful natural patina it had was broken by horrifying underlying cleaning hairlines and unnatural glossiness, when tilted in the light. The coin had no business in a slab, and I was mad at the big time, professional dealers as well.

I would say definitly return the 1795 50C. You can get a choice original piece for the saem price.

I think that Bill Jones is right that I need more detail for this type coin anyway. So, I'll save a little and go for a higher graded piece next time.

(Oh, the half went back already.) Thanks for all of the input, boardsters! (thumbs u

I just received multiples of coins in the mail today. I got my 1795 half PCGS VG6 and a dozen raw Barber quarters I got off of ebay.

My rant? If a coin has been effing cleaned then why the eff doesn't the effing seller effing mention it?

The 1795 half looks gorgeous, beautiful, original and sexy if you only look straight down on it. Rotate it in the light and it has the unnatural brightness that cleaned silver acquires. There are also multiple ticks on the coin's surface. Too bad because all of the rims are full and perfect and it has great eye-appeal looking directly at it.

I'm very strongly leaning towards sending this $1775 coin back. Comments?

--------------------

Of the dozen Barber quarters I got, three were cleaned. Two badly. Hairlined and bright. Pisses me right off. And! The pictures were either swapped or taken in weird lighting 'cause the 1913 D I got is bright and shiny.

rantrant:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:rantrant

Check out the photo:

E-bay auction. Photo below.

i cant speek for all but i have come accross many coins that seemed uncleaned to me and a few others but found out later it was cleaned at some point. MAYBE just maybe the seller didnt know (shrug)