• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are limited additions a good investment ?

4 posts in this topic

Hi all i was given this when i was young by a relative "to put away" for the future (how did they guess that i would collect coins :D)

Well it has been away for 30 years and i have finally had a look at it. I have had a look on the WWW to no avail

the Coin/Medal is number 1179 0f 15,000 and is not bad for this type of thing (don't normally go for commemorates but the Rev is very well done) i have also scanned the receipt from Metalimport coin investment limited with all the relevant information on.

ans i would guess at it being an UC

not sure if i like the Obv and the gold but guess its not bad when you look at some of the stuff from the 70's

so the question is has this been a good investment and would you have it graded

1977r.jpg

1977.jpg

1977o.jpg

dooly :devil:

Good morning, Dooly.

Far from an expert here but my first instinct is to say no. I base that on my sub-collecting area of interest being music/composer coins. Many of the pieces in my set are limited issues, some with mintages of 1000. In the many years that I have owned these, the "market value" has virtually stood still indicating little demand. Of course that specialized collector might just come along who would like to add it to his collection, but as a whole, I see specialized issues as more of a revenue maker for the mint/government than investment for the owner.

If I may give another example, when the European Union first "happened", there were 4 beautiful silver (roughly silver dollar sized) proofs issued in the denomination of 25 ECU honoring composers. (Never heard of an ECU...I initially thought it was one of those big dumb New zealand birds...) I purchased 3 of them when first issued through U.S. distributors but was missing the 4th...until about 3 days ago. I found 3 examples of the one I needed on e-Bay. The buy it now price was less than what I paid for each of the 3 I bought when issued.

Just my 2 cents worth...

RI AL

The answer to your investment question is almost certainly "no" though in this case you might be able to make money based on rising metal prices.

For starters, that item seems far too common with an issue of 15000 pieces. To give you a point of comparison, I bought a couple of gold 1000 Swiss Franc commemorative coins a few years ago. They cost just over face value and the mintages are 400 or less. Only later did I discover that they were no longer "legal tender' and that there was a good reason why they were so cheap. No one wants them.

Its not exactly the same thing but I also own a few pieces from the Gallery mint. I like them but consider them a waste of money. Though I'll never be able to afford the real thing, I've decided that I would much rather own a real coin instead of a replica.

As for getting it graded, I do not know if it is eligible. I would not even try unless I could sell it for more. I tried to get one of the Private Patterns from the Patina collection graded a few years ago and they would not.

Well it isn't a coin and it would most likely have a value based on the melt value. so since it weighs 1 oz and has about $19 worth of silver and $14 worth of gold that would come to $33. But since it would very difficult to separate the .4 grams of gold from the silver, most likely no one will make a price allowance for the gold giving it a value of about $19. Now to know if it was a good investment we would have to know the original selling price. Now most of this type of item back then sold originally for $35. So over 20 years your $35 investment has dropped to $19.

I'd say "No it wasn't a good investment."