• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calling all ugly Coins, Medals, Tokens and What-nots.

16 posts in this topic

1740Obv.jpg

This Pillar 4 Real probably sat on the bottom of the ocean for quite a spell

as it still has evidence of concretions affixed to the surface.

Those dents in the rim maybe Jean Lafitte's teeth marks lol

Fugly, but neat to hold, flip and examine.

Show us the stuff only a collector could learn to love.

ps:We may have done this before, but new finds and new members brings us more new items.

By a WIDE margin this is the worst piece in my collecton. It is actually a relic. It was made from iron recovered from the Confederate ironclad "Virginia" (a.k.a. "Merrimack").

This piece was once listed as a Civil War token, but then it was discovered that it was struck circa 1906. It was de-listed as CWT, but CWT collectors still include in their collections.

MerromacO.jpgMerrimackR.jpg

1740Obv.jpg

This Pillar 4 Real probably sat on the bottom of the ocean for quite a spell

as it still has evidence of concretions affixed to the surface.

Those dents in the rim maybe Jean Lafitte's teeth marks lol

Fugly, but neat to hold, flip and examine.

Show us the stuff only a collector could learn to love.

ps:We may have done this before, but new finds and new members brings us more new items.

Is that coin genuine?

Is that coin genuine?

Yes, the same thing popped into my mind when I saw it. It looks like one of those poorly made cast counterfeits you can buy at "pirate money" at an attraction.

Is that coin genuine?

Yes, the same thing popped into my mind when I saw it. It looks like one of those poorly made cast counterfeits you can buy at "pirate money" at an attraction.

Wondering myself when It first came into my possession, I showed it to a couple of people later on and they said it looked like silver, felt like silver, had the weight of silver. One fella said it was an ameraturish job of reverse electrolysis to remove encrusted concretions, he said it probably sat next to something made of iron and there was a covealant discharge of electrons...hold it right there, is it real? By all acounts yes it is real but can you/me prove where it came from...No.

So I'm going with that.

Yes it is real

It came out of salt water

neat show and tell item

Ugly Ugly Ugly

I read an article where an engraver said that the Wyoming coin was beautiful. :o This engraver said that the detail that would be required for this image would be complicated and may not strike well. Of course he did not mention the Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Mississippi quarters!

I agree with jgrinz's assessment with a little emphasis: FUGLY, just FUGLY!!

Scott :hi:

img0416pi5.jpg

img0417os3.jpg

Looks like this coin was a pockect piece that was also used as a cutting board by a cigar smoker who used it to trim his cigars with his pocket knife. I've seen this same effect on other large silver coins.

I think this one was harshly cleaned and retoned with what seems like a purple magic marker...shame too..has full LIBERTY detail..

53756-MVC-950S.JPG.3064c7baad6579d488069a8f78746cd8.JPG