• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petition to NGC Please vote

Missing leaf poll  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Missing leaf poll

21 posts in this topic

Hi all

NGC do not recognize the Missing leaf variety of the Shield nickel although it is listed in fletcher and the cherrypicker guide

I think this is very unfair considering some of the {in my opinion} lesser coin varieties which they do recognize.

Ml1867L.jpg

what do you think ?

PLEASE DISCUSS THIS ISSUE FOR AND AGAINST hm

I voted yes altho I liked door#3 I could care less as I think Shield nickels are pants !! lol Just exactly what does that mean?

I voted yes altho I liked door#3 I could care less as I think Shield nickels are pants !! lol Just exactly what does that mean?

Its a English saying meaning that they are as boring as underwear lol

You guys must have the wrong kind of underwear over there. My wife's is anything but boring! ;)

You guys must have the wrong kind of underwear over there. My wife's is anything but boring! ;)

This post is worthless without pictures! lol

Chris

Sorry dooly...I could care less about Sheild nickel varieties......or most other varieties like VAMs.....just not my cup of tea :sorry:

I whole-heartedly agree with Jeff's words but I still think it should be listed for our OCD little buddies on the boards. :golfclap:

This post is worthless without pictures! lol

Chris

36_12_6.gif

I'm indifferent to this question and to most varieties in general. But I will agree that it should be considered if it is a widely recognized (subjective as that might be) variety for this series. By any chance, is this variety excluded from whatever attribution guide they use?

" as boring as underwear ?'" Are you saying that a shield nickel is as boring as a woman in underwear?. You need to spend less time on the shield nickels.

That's exactly what i thought when i saw them for the first time :baiting::jokealert:lol

That's exactly what i thought when i saw them for the first time :baiting::jokealert:lol

:roflmao:

Certainly, Dooly, the missing leaf variety should be treated as either of the extra leaf Wisconsin quarters. Why would they not be? I don't specifically care one way or the other, but NGC shouldn't just arbitrarily select one and not the other as supposedly they are in business to fulfill a customer's needs. If the demand exists then either do them all or don't do them period. JMO

I'm indifferent to this question and to most varieties in general. But I will agree that it should be considered if it is a widely recognized (subjective as that might be) variety for this series. By any chance, is this variety excluded from whatever attribution guide they use?

thanks for the sensible answer

Fletcher lists about two dozen and cherrypicker lists only two but i do not know which book the VP's use for the shields

I sent the question on why Missing leaf 1867 had not been listed on my slab when i had ticked the VP on my submission for on the last lot of coins i sent and this is the reply i received.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=viewmessage&message=386466&gonew=0

hm

Sorry about that lol

it said: "It sounds like this was caused from a die that was polished (at the mint) probably after "clashing". We do not label these as anything special" regards !!!!

:juggle:

:o

doh! That explains a lot!!

it said: "It sounds like this was caused from a die that was polished (at the mint) probably after "clashing". We do not label these as anything special" regards !!!!

Sounds like NGC hasn't got a clue on these.

For those who don't know shields. the missing leaf is not "a" variety it is a busnch of varieties. And contrary to what NGC said it does NOT come from a polished die.

When they created the shield design punch they errored on the second cluster of leaves from the top. They did not include the fourth or outermost leaf in the cluster. So that leaf was then hand cut into every working die for a two or three year period. Naturally when you are doing that many dies, and you're under pressure from above to "GET US SOME MORE DIES!!!!" every so often you miss one.

As Dooly said Fletcher lists two dozen varieties. cherrypicker only lists two, but there are more varieties than are listed in Fletcher.

Sorry about that lol

:juggle:

That's funny they do slab the three legged Buffalo, don't they? (says, sarcastically!)