• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sticky PVC coins.. what to do

5 posts in this topic

you know those old brown albums with the things that slide out the side.. where if the coins have been in there for a couple decades, they're slimey/sticky...? not the green stuff, just s-t-i-c-k-y

what's the remedy?

sorry if this has been covered a billion times :blush:

A rinse, or in the case of severe PVC residue contamination a prolonged soak will take care of the residue. (In the case of the prolonged soak swish the acetone around occasionally and use multiple soaking baths or the contaminated acetone can redeposit the slime back on the coin.)

If the residue has been on the coins for a long time, or if the coin has a srong green color, there will probably be underlying PVC damage and nothing can be done about that.

To follow up on this question with another question... I have a nice medal/token from the 1939 World's Fair that was stored in a plastic case with a spongy inside. We suspect that the coin has been in that case from the late 50s or early 60s. But the spongy insides deteriorated and stuck to the medal. Would soaking it help? If so, what should I use?

THANKS!

Scott :hi:

When in doubt try acetone first, It won't hurt the coin and is great at dissolving organic ooze. And it's cheap. If acetone doesn't work try Methylethlyketone (MEK) Another powerful organic solvent that won't hurt the coin but it is a little harder to find. You should be able to find both of them in a good paint department. I have found both of them at Wal-Mart. You will alwys forn the acetone but the MEK is more iffy. Check the lacquer thinner.

You might also try Methylene Chloride. It is a good plastic solvent for PVC and not a carcinogen like MEK, plus it is not flammable like MEK and Acetone. Still use it outside with plenty of ventilation, the fumes will accumulate, replace air and you can suffocate in a closed area. When in doubt, read the MSDS sheet for any solvent hazards.