• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A nice set of wartime nickels

19 posts in this topic

I recently ordered some Capital Plastics coin holders for housing some of my raw Jefferson nickels and providing a nice display. One of the designs (#452W) has a nice illustration of the Iwo Jima flag raising on it. Just thought I'd share the result (attached).

The coins are all MS64-66 and easily found at coin shops. Holders come in either black or white. There are screw-together designs (as mine) or snap-together designs.

Hoot

589a8b424575f_285923-Wartimenickelset-CapPlasIwoJimaobvsm.jpg.0413469ff6431515b5f346a0cd8eac7e.jpg

At the Denver ANA show I bought a set of Jeffs in a Cap plastic holder. The dates were from 1938 to 1964 I think. I think I old paid about $200 for the whole thing but what was neat was that many of the coins were toned nicely.

It turns out I ended up putting the set into a Dancso holder...of course thinking that maybe the toning would continue... heh heh heh. It hasn't but what the hec, it was worth a try. laugh.gif

I also have an "Indian Quarter Eagle" Cap plastic holder I never used. Maybe once I finish the set (with the 11-D I'm not sure I will) maybe I'll "liberate" by set from the slabs and put them there. Now that's FREEDOM!

jom

I also got the 1938-64 holder. I will fill it with similar quality coins as I did the wartime set. You got quite a bargain for a set in that holder for $200 (assuming it was choice and gem uncirculated), since the holder is $65 + shipping! shocked.gif

Hoot

Well, first of all this was 1996 so maybe the holder was cheaper then. I checked my database and it seems I bought roughly 70 coins for $2.25 each. So what's that about $160? I guess it wasn't $200 after all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe if I get around to it I'll take some pics. Some have pretty good toning... laugh.gif

jom

I have a partial Kennedy set ('64P-'78S), plus a complete Ike set and a complete SBA set in white Capital (screw type) holders. They are not coins that I wish to have slabbed (although some were originally slabbed), just nice MS65/66 and PR67/69DCAM coins.

I have used Capital holders since way back before slabs. I think that they show a set off really well.

I have a confession to make regarding Capital Plastics holders. At one point I purchased a lightly and very nicely toned set of WWII Jeffersons and they were in a low quality, plastic snap thingy. At the next show I went to I found a poor quality set of WWII Jeffersons that were in one of the old, translucent royal blue, Capital Plastics holders. The type that they have not made in quite a while. I bought that set, too, and then put the nice coins in the Capital Plastics holder and the cruddy ones in the cheap holder. It worked out quite well for me as a dealer came by and bought the cruddy coins for only $2 less than I paid for them. acclaim.gif

Sweet set GDJMSP! smile.gifcool.gif Hey, if your son owns that, he'd better keep it tucked away at home! wink.gif

Tom - That's a dispicable story. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gifsumo.gifmakepoint.gifshocked.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Hoot

Hi Hoot. I have really enjoyed looking at your 38-64 Jeff registry set. The photos and your comments are really great. Ive been working on a nice set of my own. Again, thanks for posting your set, I have it book-marked for reference. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hi Hoot. I have really enjoyed looking at your 38-64 Jeff registry set. The photos and your comments are really great. Ive been working on a nice set of my own. Again, thanks for posting your set, I have it book-marked for reference. 893applaud-thumb.gif

blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Thank you Dry! I just spent a bunch of time updating the introductory description and coin descriptions (entered it today). It's a passion and an OBSESSION insane.gif for me! The whole series is simply full of twists and curves, so it makes it a lot of fun to collect! And there's always more work to do and stuff to write! smile.gif

Hoot

I recently ordered some Capital Plastics coin holders for housing some of my raw Jefferson nickels and providing a nice display. One of the designs (#452W) has a nice illustration of the Iwo Jima flag raising on it. Just thought I'd share the result (attached).

The coins are all MS64-66 and easily found at coin shops. Holders come in either black or white. There are screw-together designs (as mine) or snap-together designs.

Hoot

Hoot that is very cool.Especially the Iwo monument.Does Nov 10 hold a special meaning for you as well?

Sweet set GDJMSP! Hey, if your son owns that, he'd better keep it tucked away at home!

Yeah that one belongs to the youngster Hoot. And it is safely tucked away wink.gif

Dang! That is by far the most unique nickel toning I've ever seen. I've seen some fabulous toning, but that is totally new to me. You could get good $$ for that I bet. But, something tells me it's not for sale. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

RobertB Nope not for sale. I went into a local coin shop, was looking at

his proof sets and that coin just shouted to be bought. I also have a 70

proof that has a lot of blue color on both sides. I'm not too hot with a camera and couldn't capture it digitally. If I don't get the angle just right and the lighting also it just looks like an ugly white toning.