• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a coin you believe to have original surfaces...

54 posts in this topic

With all the recent [and past] hullabaloo over variously colored coins, post one you believe to have original surfaces. Here's the Trade Dollar in my 7070 type set.

1873TradeDollarobv01.jpg

1873TradeDollarrev01.jpg

I have reason to believe this Capped bust half has original surfaces even though it is attractively tarnished IMO.

1829_Bust_half_TV_copy.jpg

Here is a similar looking coin from the same era.

1832DimeO.jpg1832DimeR.jpg

wow... nice pieces everyone! It seems that we've established something of a trend. Most all of the coins that people posted images of are of silver and there is a distinct "look" that silver gets after about 150 years...darker surfaces with hidden luster in the devices. I note that, with the exception of Mike's USMC commem, there were no "blast white" 150 year old silver pieces. MBA101's 1813 CBH is the "look" that I am looking for when I'm shopping around for older silver. [Note: I'm not disparaging anyone else's coins...I just singled out that particular piece].

Interestingly, only one copper piece was posted. Is this a function of the comfort level collectors possess in their knowledge of what constitutes a "coin with original surfaces" or are we [as a whole] more comfortable with silver? I'll try to image some copper pieces this evening but the oldest MS copper piece I possess is barely 100 years old... I'm sure there are board members that can help out here... ;)

Leo

I didn't see Bill's toned silver when I was responding above... nonetheless, these pieces have SOME color and there's nothing to suggest past cleanings, dippings, etc...L

Regarding Boll Jones' 1832 10C, I happen to love the look and the coin. But for learning purposes, when the center (assuming the photo properly depicts the actual look of the coin) of the coin is white would then this be an example of a slightly and ever so carefully dipped bust dime that naturally toned around the rim over time?

I agree with some (at least they're close enough) and disagree with others. Here's a coin that I'm reasonably sure hasn't been altered in any way to make it more attractive or otherwise more collectible. But, of course, certainty is elusive.

288747767.jpg

This is my oldest coin with UNDIPPED original surfaces that is still blast white...a 46-S, someone had to post one (shrug)...I do have a few original Morgans that are close

MBA.... from a half dollar collector--that 1810 CBH is stunning (worship)

51878-MVC-660S.JPG.d7b6f783e645e7386c85ad9f99d5752e.JPG

51879-MVC-661S.JPG.27ba558976135204302e048455a56f5b.JPG

MBA.... from a half dollar collector--that 1810 CBH is stunning (worship)

The Coin Thanks You, since I can only take credit for the snag. It is clearly a favorite of mine, especially when it comes to showing what happens to a coin that tones heavily.

wow... nice pieces everyone! It seems that we've established something of a trend. Most all of the coins that people posted images of are of silver and there is a distinct "look" that silver gets after about 150 years...darker surfaces with hidden luster in the devices. I note that, with the exception of Mike's USMC commem, there were no "blast white" 150 year old silver pieces. MBA101's 1813 CBH is the "look" that I am looking for when I'm shopping around for older silver. [Note: I'm not disparaging anyone else's coins...I just singled out that particular piece].

Interestingly, only one copper piece was posted.

Did someone say "copper"? Low grade coppers often do have original surfaces - an advantage to collecting the "affordable" stuff....

w1201.jpg

a180951.jpg

a1810dg.jpg

a1826dg.jpg

a185401.jpg

b180214.jpg

b184212.jpg

b184215.jpg

b184515.jpg