• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have been reading ATS "Again" and I was wondering how any of the kool aiders..

52 posts in this topic

Wow! I got a completely different thing from your post. I'm not sure why you would find something like that funny or ironic without having a different opinion -- an anti-PCGS opinion you have posted more than once and that I infered from the use of "koolaid" -- but if that wasn't your intent, I apologize for misreading you and your post.

As for your blue indian comment, I'll stand up to anyone, Rick Snow included. My posting history has proven that. I edited my words because I was afraid of litigation and because I worded things more strongly than I had intended.

Lastly, as far as your inference that I have no life outside of coins, nothing could be further from the case. I have a job, I have other hobbies, and I have a family. Coins are a hobby for me and I like to discuss them -- no different from you I would suggest.

All that said, if you post something that I disagree with, I will post my thoughts -- just like I do for everyone else. I call them like I see them -- just like I think you do....Mike

Wow! I got a completely different thing from your post. I'm not sure why you would find something like that funny or ironic without having a different opinion -- an anti-PCGS opinion you have posted more than once and that I infered from the use of "koolaid" -- but if that wasn't your intent, I apologize for misreading you and your post.

As for your blue indian comment, I'll stand up to anyone, Rick Snow included. My posting history has proven that. I edited my words because I was afraid of litigation and because I worded things more strongly than I had intended.

Lastly, as far as your inference that I have no life outside of coins, nothing could be further from the case. I have a job, I have other hobbies, and I have a family. Coins are a hobby for me and I like to discuss them -- no different from you I would suggest.

All that said, if you post something that I disagree with, I will post my thoughts -- just like I do for everyone else. I call them like I see them -- just like I think you do....Mike

I'm still not giving you a hug.. (tsk)

lol

I was referring to the fact that there were 12,000 MS70 A.S.E in the NGC Population and that they were 2007W.

I merely speculated on the reason for so many 2007 W in the MS70 grade.I do not know this to be the case and I am not sure if you were referring to the 2007W or the 2007.

I am aware of the Milk spot issue and the fact that PCGS has offered a reward for the solution etc.If the reason for the milk spots are not proper drying at the U.S. MINT or any other problem that originated at the U.S. Mint then there is nothing that the TPGs can do unless there is some sort of a Neutralizing solution that can be used and in this case it would probably have to be used within a certain time after leaving the Mint or not at all.

If I am corrrect and you are talking about the 2007W and the Burnished Planchets are a factor then it makes no difference which TPG receives them.

Again my point was regarding whether or not they were 2007W and the possibilities.

I do not submit coins to PCGS at this time. I do occassionally buy a PCGS coin in a slab if it is the same grade and year in a comparable NGC Slab and if it is more economical then the NGC coins up for graba.

I look at the coin and not the slab.Right now I amin the Morgan phase and since there are no Morgans in MS70 then there is no problem.

I am aware of the Milk spotting issue as referred to by me in an earlier post. If I had been hoping for an MS70 I would not have submitted to PCGS at all.

I have mentioned before that I bought the 20 th Anniversary set directly from the Mint at about $100.00. I was not aware of the guidelines and only sent in the Reverse Proof which received an PF70 and black label.

I eventually sent in the other two which received a brown label and a MS69 and PF69.I would never have sent in either to PCGS.Wheter you believe in the MS70 or PF70 the diffference between the PF 70 and the PF69 Valuation is about $500.00 to some.Why would anybody reduce the odds by sending to PCGS ?

I am not that experienced but I have not seen any proof of looser standards of one over the other when talking about NGC and PCGS. I have seen whta could be overgrading in PCGS a few times in the Morgan area so over all it is probably a wash between the two but certainly not enough samples to see a correlation

I have slabbed a number of modern coins (which I cherry picked) thru NGC and got 70. The coins were perfect, I agreed with NGC's grade for them, and they are worth just as much as any PCGS 70 as in my view it it the coin which has value and not who's holder it is in. PF 70 is PF 70.

51115-2250619_005o.JPG.0cacbf910866b426f80cb45045309ea0.JPG

Is it good or bad to be one?

Depends on who you ask -- the koolaid drinker, the one selling to him/her, the manufacturer of the koolaid, or a disinterested third party. ;)

Seriously, most would say bad as the connotation is that they are swept in by the marketing of PCGS, thus the saying "drinking the koolaid" or "koolaid drinker"....Mike

Is it good or bad to be one?

Depends on who you ask -- the koolaid drinker, the one selling to him/her, the manufacturer of the koolaid, or a disinterested third party. ;)

Seriously, most would say bad as the connotation is that they are swept in by the marketing of PCGS, thus the saying "drinking the koolaid" or "koolaid drinker"....Mike

The popularity of the saying stems from the Rev Jim Jones and his cult of a church, Who rather than be invaded by the appropriate local law enforcement (He and his followers had just gunned down a Ca. Congressman after he paid an impromptu Inspection/visit at the airport as they were preparing to leave) Chose to commit mass suicide by ingesting poison laced Kool aid. (I believe it was actually Flavor aide but Kool aid has better brand appeal).

Thanks for the information. After reading the responses, I sense the term "Kool Aider" is not paying anyone a compliment. It appears to me there are some "differences" in philosophy, grading issues, etc. between some of the TPGs. I can live with that and will try to learn more about all of them. I hope I have not become a member of some sort of coin collecting cult by belonging to this site- lol. I really do like this site and all the informative threads it contains and I try very hard to be objective when reading other member comments and opinions.

Jim Beam.....perfectly put. I have been lurking here and ATS....and I must say, this is a much more user friendly site. A good percentage post on both sides, but ATS, some people always have to be like, well, there are always those and you know exactly what I mean (I dont want to spell it out, because there are alot of great guys there, alot, and there is a TON of knowledge there....alot of these guys will forget more than I could ever learn...listen to all of them, they know of what they speak!). My not being there is inconsequential, but take ATS the street with a grain of salt, it can get downright nasty there.....but most importantly, ask questions if you have them, and keep your ears open...again, these are some of the brightest minds in the hobby and what they say (noone is always right) should be given serious consideration before making any moves...and READ, READ, READ about the series that interest you most...dont be all over the road, pick one, maybe two, and learn all you can...that basic knowledge carries over so that you can make a half educated decision based on basics if a coin pops up out of the blue, not your series, but maybe too good to pass up, with a return policy, you will feel more comfy taking a gamble.

Oh yeah, this is a much more relaxed, 'come as you are' place...I like it here, and you will too!!! Welcome!!

According to one big Texas dealer I talked to, the only reason for sending them in was to get a 70. The 69s didn't bring the cost of the raw coin plus the grading fees. For many months submissions were accepted, Then it was announced that no 70s were being given to anyone because the coins MIGHT develop spots. Since there was no point in sending the coins in if there was zero chance of getting a 70, many dealers are upset who make a living ordering modern coins direct from the Mint, sending them in, selling the 69s at a loss and making a useful profit only on the 70s.