• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty Seated Dime Grade and value

8 posts in this topic

I have shown this coin before, but now a question arises as to its grade. Could you help me with a grade(value if you wish but not important). Thanks in advance.

1890LSDinhand.jpg

The surfaces look odd to me. Is it a proof? If not, the luster has that blurred look, almost like a whizzed coin.

If it's a proof, that would explain the surfaces......In that case, I can see a fair amount of hairlines in the reverse field and I would grade it PF-62.

If it's a business strike, and the surfaces are an artifact of the photos, then I would still wonder what is going on in the reverse fields.....Cabinet friction? AU-58.

JJ

Great job, JJ. It is a proof. NGC slabbed it and it is on its way back to me now. When I bought the coin I thought it was a proof, but many very qualified people told be that it was not. So, not having any experience with these type coins, I sent it in and it was confirmed. Thanks for your opinions all.

Jim

Sorry to be so long in answering, realone, I just noticed your post. I purchased the coin because it had such a lovely field and was of course high grade. The fields were so deep and clear I did not think it could be a business strike but had to be a proof strike. I researched the proof coins in "Encyclopedia of U.S. Liberty Seated Dimes" and also placed the coin on the LSD variety collectors board. It showed to be an F-103 DR -1BO(in my opinion). Gerry and Jason(SeatedDime and Seated Dimes on the forum) both agreed it was not a proof. I decided to send it to be cleaned mainly because of some scratches on the reverse. NCS informed me that it was indeed a proof, so I decided to send it over to NGC after conservation. I received it back today and it is gorgeous-the crud was removed and unfortunately the scratches held it down to PF61, but for the small sum I have invested in the coin I am happy. While I realize their are many on the forum who would prefer to leave the crud alone, I do not. Here are the before and after conservation pics. Your opinions please.

1890LSDinhand.jpg

1890LibertySeatedDimePF61Conserved.jpg

Great job, JJ. It is a proof. NGC slabbed it and it is on its way back to me now. When I bought the coin I thought it was a proof, but many very qualified people told be that it was not. So, not having any experience with these type coins, I sent it in and it was confirmed. Thanks for your opinions all.

Jim

Thanks.......I guessed PF-62. To each his own, but I liked the coin before it was dipped. Usually when a coin has some problems such as hairlining on a proof, a little toning will hide alot of it and give the coin better eye appeal. Once stripped of the toning, you can seen every little imperfection.

JJ