• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1806 Half Cent Small 6 Stemless Update

17 posts in this topic

I received the half cent I posted about earlier and now have the coin inhand. Obviously, I am not a photographer and lighting drives me crazy. This was my best attempt at photographing the coin so apologies offered beforehand. Thank goodness, no holes or repairs, just a lot of nicks. Thanks for your opinions as to grade.

Jim

1806smcentstemlesshalfcent.jpg

That coin is even nicer than I thought previously, although a bit more worn and devoid of luster. I'd grade it F 15 and will add that it is both attractive, problem-free (which is saying something!) and original-looking. All in all, a coin I would be happy to have in my collection...Mike

It seems to have barely "F-12" details to me. It's a decent coin in my opinion.
James, do you or do you not think it's been cleaned? Thanks.

Mark, What, specifically, makes you think it is "badly cleaned"? hm While it certainly could have been cleaned/recolored in the past, I suspect it is the photo, and I don't think it looks bad at all (or maybe I should say I've seen much, much worse). Thanks..>Mike

Sorry for the photo, I am the absolute worst at lighting-I tried using OTT another flourescent light but as you see it totally changes the coins color. I took this photo outside on my deck with nothing but natural light. It shows the true reddish and chocolate color. I do not think this coin has been cleaned, but then I believed in Santa.

1806halfcentinhand.jpg

As an aside, OTT lights (a type of fluorescent lights) are great for looking at coins in-hand but they aren't the best for photographs. Not only are they diffused light (which doesn't take good photographs), you have to be careful of the shutter speed you use (it must be a factor of the frequency they flash, 60Hz) or you risk a color shift just like you mention. I suspect you will get beter results under sunlight or with an incandescent or halogen bulb (provided you take into account the white balance/color temperature shift that will occur)...MIke

Thanks, Mike. I bought into the "ya gotta have an OTT lite". No one said anything about the light requiring brains in addition to electricity. I believe I am just going to photograph in the natural sunlight and whatever comes out, well then it comes out.

By the way my camera doesn't have a "Take into account the white balance button" but I believe my Photoshop does. lol

Next time, try this.... Get a good grey card (you can find this at any photo shop) and take your photo with the coin placed on top of the grey card. When you get into photoshop, simply sample an area of the grey card for photoshop to take the white balance reading, and it should correct any color cast. While not as good as getting it correct in-camera, this tip should markedly improve the colors you see in your photo. Simply clicking a white balance/color correction button in an image editor will likely give you the same results as you've posted thusfar -- inconsistent. Hope this helps...Mike

p.s. You are welcome. I'm happy to help. :) I may not be able to spot cleaned copper hm , but I can take a pretty good photograph, if I do say so myself.

You are well in advance of me on either issue(photography or cleaning issues) so I still thank you for your time and information. I will garner a grey card at my first opportunity and give it a whirl.

Mark, What, specifically, makes you think it is "badly cleaned"? hm While it certainly could have been cleaned/recolored in the past, I suspect it is the photo, and I don't think it looks bad at all (or maybe I should say I've seen much, much worse). Thanks..>Mike
Mike, the color (which seems too light for an example circulated to that extent) and the sheen both look unnatural to me, even in the updated images.

I think that this coin is acceptable for the grade which falls in the VG-10 area. As for the color, well it may have been cleaned long ago, but once more this is copper. "Original" for early copper is often not acceptable for anyone. “Original” usually seems to be dark and corroded these days.

As for the "sheen" comment, lots of early copper has "sheen" because it has been coated with Care or Blue Ribbon. If you don’t use these products many copper collectors think that you are flirting with corrosion and disaster. I’ll also ad that the TPGs are said to have coated many certified coins with these products to inhibit corrosion of the coin in the plastic holder, which can be a moisture trap.

Would PCGS or NGC grade this coin? I doubt it, but who cares? The coin is not worth enough to slab it, and most copper collectors hold the TPGs in low regard anyway.

I think this coin is perfectly acceptable for a beginning to intermediate collector. It’s certainly a lot more desirable than most of the modern junk the mint is marketing right now in excessive profusion. If things keep on as they are, those Proof presidential dollars you just paid $14.95 for will be worth face value. That’s what the mint is doing to collectors these days.

I think this coin is perfectly acceptable for a beginning to intermediate collector. It’s certainly a lot more desirable than most of the modern junk the mint is marketing right now in excessive profusion. If things keep on as they are, those Proof presidential dollars you just paid $14.95 for will be worth face value. That’s what the mint is doing to collectors these days.

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u Actually I liked all of your post Bill, but that is worth saying again.

Cool 202 year old copper coin, has enough detail to make a nice type coin*.

This coin may have been cleaned at one point, but a lot can happen to a coin that's been around more than two centuries. hm

I think most old copper has been cleaned at some point and given the right conditions and time many have toned back to where they look "market acceptable" and may even be called original...

*Lately I'm finding that I seem to divide coins into two categories; type coin or not a type coin.

But I don't know why?:insane:lol