• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who grades what more consistently?

35 posts in this topic

Bill,

While I would certainly yield to your greater experience, I do not think you are being objective.

I would suggest that some of the fluctuation you mention is because the TPGs market grade and the ANA detail grades. Another part of it is the "different" scale that the TPGs seem to use for key date coins (which I am completely unable to rationalize or justify, and I think this was part of your point). Another factor is gradeflation. Yet another factor is the natural variability associated with subjective grading.

I have seen no great change in key date grading (they all look overgraded to me :) ), but I don't follow those closely at all, and admittedly I have only a fraction of the experience of you, GDJMSP, and others have. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the coins that I follow most closely, post-1816 large cents, the TPGs are very consistent (albeit different).

Regardless, all of the above speaks to the ultimate point I was making in my responses to this thread, and again to you above, so please forgive me if I repeat myself:

"We shouldn't get too caught up in the grading standard. It is the individual coin (and the price!) that matters."

While I can see how you -- who seem to be coming at this problem from the position of a seller -- could look at the issue differently than me -- a buyer of type and large cents -- I still think that you are overly biased against the TPGs (and I still haven't quite figured out why).

Respectfully...Mike

p.s. I wouldn't dare buy any coins from an add in Coin World. I prefer to see the coins before asking for them to be sent on approval so I can assess them myself in-hand.

p.p.s. Thank you for the response, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me (and the rest of us). I learn a lot from these exchanges, so thank you!

I would suggest that some of the fluctuation you mention is because the TPGs market grade and the ANA detail grades. Another part of it is the "different" scale that the TPGs seem to use for key date coins (which I am completely unable to rationalize or justify, and I think this was part of your point). Another factor is gradeflation. Yet another factor is the natural variability associated with subjective grading.

There should not be "a different scale" for rare dates UNLESS the rare date has sort of strike peculiarity that changes application of the grading system. For many key dates, like 1877 Indian cent and the 1916-D Mercury dime, there are no really odd strike characteristics that warrant an adjustment to the scale.

Some of the old time, less than ethical dealers used to get lose with grades when it came to rare dates. That’s just plain flat out wrong. It’s called “chestnut grading” and it’s a lot bunk. You grade key dates the same way you grade common dates given that they both have same strike characteristics. You should pay a high price for the coin’s key date status, but you should not get double charged by over grading AND high prices. But that’s the way some dealers cheat their customers.

The TPG should not be a party to that for the circulated grades, and they aren’t when they grade Mint State coins. In fact there are times when I think they get TOO CONSERVATIVE when one point on the Mint State scale results in huge increase in price. In those cases it seems to me they get a little gun shy because of possible grade guarantee problems.

And yes I've looked a lot of graded key date coins because I get the want lists for them all the time. You would be surprised at the inconsistencies I've seen.

Some of the old time, less than ethical dealers used to get lose with grades when it came to rare dates. That's just plain flat out wrong. It's called chestnut grading and it's a lot bunk.

Anyone know where the expression "chestnut grading" came from?

I would suggest that some of the fluctuation you mention is because the TPGs market grade and the ANA detail grades.

While many people think this is so, it is not. The ANA grading standards are based on market grading as well and have been since the 3rd edition in 1987. It states so right in the book.