• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exciting news from ANACS!

37 posts in this topic

It would be nice if the ANA could take a financial interest in ANACS and be the only grading service to use ANA standards. Such as MS60 and higher having ABSOLUTELY NO TRACE OF WEAR...instead of slabbing coins with wear as Mint State "because the market dictates an MS price, not an AU price" as PCGS says

I agree!

It would be nice if the ANA could take a financial interest in ANACS and be the only grading service to use ANA standards. Such as MS60 and higher having ABSOLUTELY NO TRACE OF WEAR...instead of slabbing coins with wear as Mint State "because the market dictates an MS price, not an AU price" as PCGS says

ANACS was started by the ANA as the ANA Certification Service in 1972. At the time, there were serious issues with counterfeit and altered coins. ANACS was created to certify coins. The service was sold in 1990 to Amos Press so that the ANA would get out of the certification service with other TPGs in existence.

I remember reading that the ANA Board did not think it was a good idea for the ANA to run this service. They were also urged by members to divest themselves of this asset because it really was not part of the ANA's mission. Considering the history, I am not sure the ANA wants to get back into the business.

HOWEVER, the ANA can do a much better job at defining the grading standards. I know we've had this discussion before, but there are a number of areas that the standards need tightening. One of my ideas would be to add computer imaging to aid in the grading--it would help add consistency to the grading process. There are some who will disagree with me, but it's an idea that should be explored (IMHO).

Scott :hi:

I see what happened now. I went back and was looking at an earlier post of yours using Mapquest.Your map starts out at Kenton and ends at Belleview.For some reason I took the "end" at Belleview and at the time the discussion was ANACS.

You are correct. Again I don't know the area and there is a 4.9 mille difference. I know that in some cities there is an area where one certain type of Industry is located such as Sima Valley in California and there is a Highway in Boston Ma where there is all Electronics if I remember correctly.

Don't know if there is any such focus here.Still wonder about the full page cover ads on ICG with Coin world.

I remember reading that the ANA Board did not think it was a good idea for the ANA to run this service. They were also urged by members to divest themselves of this asset because it really was not part of the ANA's mission. Considering the history, I am not sure the ANA wants to get back into the business.

Actually they wanted to get out of the GRADING business. (The ANA never really wanted to have anything to do with grading and had to be pushed, kicking and screaming, into developing of the ANA Grading Guide. It was also a project that many people thought was best left to the private sector, but the private sector wasn't doing it and finally the ANA had to get involved.) Within about a year of selling ANACS the ANA was back in the certification business with ANAAB where they certified coins as being genuine but did not grade them. (One thing that did not go along with the sale of ANACS was the ANACS photorecords of the diagnostics of all the genuine and counterfeit dies.)

Unfortunately collectors did not want to know whether or not their coins are genuine, they want to know what they grade. Also the ANA never really promoted ANAAB so I would imagine that most of the membership never even knew it existed. For those reasons they had problems keeping top people on staff (and they did use highly qualified people), turnaround times lengthened and after about 12 years ANAAB was finally closed down in November of 2002.

(1000th POST!! )

Congrats Conder and i might add a 1000 of the most informative post i have read. :golfclap:

I never bothered saying anything when I hit 5,000 earlier this year because most of my posts were not very informative. Fortunately, that milestone slipped past some of the eagle-eyes we have on the boards.

Here's to the next 1,000 Conder! (thumbs u

Chris