• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should collectors band together for a coin dealer feedback system?

37 posts in this topic

Like other relationship business, word of mouth is the best referral. Making friends with experienced collectors is the best way to find out who the good guys are and who the not-so-good guys are. The best, most candid and most useful information will never show up on a public forum. Sure, the real scumbags might be outed, but these are usually obvious, and a lot of folks who do not deserve it will get a lot of praise.

Any anonymous feedback system is inherently flawed, as is any ebay-style rating system.

You wanna know what I and my coin buddies think of individual dealers? Search my PMs across the street. It's all there. ;)

You wanna know what I and my coin buddies think of individual dealers? Search my PMs across the street. ;)

Silly. Only HRH and the CU team has the ability to search your PMs. :gossip:

As mentioned, the list for reputable dealers certainly uses a lot less ink than the bad guys. One of the dealers I like for Early American Coinage is Osburn out of Texas. Accurate, if not conservative descriptions, and a return policy that can't be beat. Never an unresolved problem in the many years that I have done business with him. http://www.dickosburn.com/

I'll have to commend Dave Wnuck and John Agre at Coinraritiesonline.com. They will see through all the lies and misrepresentations of coins holdered by the major TPGs, as well as judge raw coinage in an exceptional way. They have my full confidence. Also, there are a lot of nice write-ups on their site, that I don't know if everyone is aware of it. Definitely a great site to visit. These guys are exceptional numismatists..not just dealers.

http://www.coinraritiesonline.com/

Michael Prinz of Harry Whitlow, brings honesty to it's best level, and his inventory is exceptional. I've purchased some of my nicest coins, if not some of the best in my collection, from him. He is so discerning, that...darn...I can't even explain it. A great numismatist.

http://www.whitlowltd.com/

Harry Laibstain, great inventory, honest guy, keen learned eye that its hard to find. He will not sell you corrupted material. It is always a pleasure to deal with him and his staff. He can be reccommended without reservation. An upper level numismatist.

http://www.hlrc.com/

And I will say this about Mark Feld, even though I've never bought a coin from him, he has given me attention when I needed it and from everyone I've ever spoken to who purchased from him, he is among the upper eschelon of dealers. Thanks Mark, for being so nice to me in the past...maybe someday I will buy a coin from you! :kidaround:

All the above have taught me so much about coins, that I feel like I have to revamp most of my collection! What is really nice, is that it doesn't seem to matter to them that I am not spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on their coins (an I'm sure they have collectors who do spend as much, considering the level of their inventory), they simply love coins and are also very good at it.

I do see a problem with recommendations and that is that although members are stating that certain dealers are above reproach I have found my experience with some to be somewhat different, nothing tragic just a little slimy, so I guess when members give opinions its just that and must be viewed not as fact and that must also include my recommendations to be fair.

So this idea, which I am in favor of can be flawed, what would be the fix?

So this idea, which I am in favor of can be flawed, what would be the fix?

:makepoint: before you buy anything make sure you can do these three things

1---make sure you specialize; specialize; SPECIALIZE in what coin series/type YOU ARE COLLECTING AND CAN 100% accurately evaulate the value, opportunity and $$ worth :makepoint: in the current market standing by yourself on your own two feet :foryou:

:makepoint:

2-- buy only to collect long term

3-- ONLY with discretionary income

THEN YOU GOTS NOTHING TO WORRIES ABOUTS :cloud9: