• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The term, "Brilliant Uncirculated" means what to you?

37 posts in this topic

You are correct. This was the old way before the grading companies. A B.U. was condsidered an MS60. Then there was such terms as Gem BU etc.

My understanding was that they also graded the obverse and the reverse differently such as a 62/63.

My understanding was that they also graded the obverse and the reverse differently such as a 62/63.

Your understanding is correct. I have a 53 Roosevelt ANACS graded pr65/67.

It came with a picture of the obverse and reverse.

When I was learning to grade back in the early 70's BU meant brilliant uncirculated and Brilliant Uncirculated meant a coin with no wear and untoned or no appreciable toning.

Back then we didn't have all these numbers, just Unc which meant no wear, Gem Unc which meant a well struck Unc with nice eye appeal and the modifier of Brilliant which meant untoned. If it didn't say Brilliant then the coin might be toned and possibly even heavily toned or tarnished. You might have Unc, BU, Gem Unc, or Gem BU.

When I was learning to grade back in the early 70's BU meant brilliant uncirculated and Brilliant Uncirculated meant a coin with no wear and untoned or no appreciable toning.

Back then we didn't have all these numbers, just Unc which meant no wear, Gem Unc which meant a well struck Unc with nice eye appeal and the modifier of Brilliant which meant untoned. If it didn't say Brilliant then the coin might be toned and possibly even heavily toned or tarnished. You might have Unc, BU, Gem Unc, or Gem BU.

By the time I started collecting in the late '70s, there was also a "choice Unc" and "choice BU" between regular Unc and Gem Unc.

Of course, the "BU" Indian cents advertised by a big seller for $18 each in CoinAge magazine were dipped EF coins.