• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing Leaf Shield Nickel Unlisted in Flecher Cherrypicked !

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have been at it again and picked up this 1867 shield nickel from USA eBay (what a sarger it was to get it .. but it is hear now :headbang:)

the sellers pictures were not the best but it was plain to see it was a Missing leaf variety but i could not make any of the diagnostics's to attribute to which flecher number it was.

now i have it in the hand it is plain to see that it is non of the ones listed in flecher and if so i would like to call it F-69 Missing leaf #8 (if that's the next one ?)

Obverse:-

Ml1867.jpg

Reverse:-

Ml1867R.jpg

Missing leaf:-

Ml1867L.jpg

the diagnostics of this coin are:-

Date closer to the rim than the ball and the identification line follows the vertical columns down and crosses the "8" between the levels of 3 and 4 (i think)

Ml1867D.jpg

Die crack running from the middle of the downward stroke of the "7" to the rim

ML1867DC-1.jpg

the most interesting diagnostic is the line running behind the 2nd, 3rd , 4th and half way to the 5th Columns.

Ml1867SL-1.jpg

There is also seems to be some die polishing lines to the right side of the Cross but until the coin is conserved i will not be sure of this.

So what do you all think, do i have some thing hear or what ?

as usual any comments more than welcome

all the best & keep on hunting dooly :devil:

Dooly,

Great find. Have you checked with Howard Spindel's SNV website, yet? His software program is supposed to be supreme, I've heard. I have emailed him to place an order for the software, but haven't heard back yet

Good luck.

MLs can be horribly difficult to attribute.

The only possibility I see for a listing that might match your coin is S2-6002 in SNV, which I have listed as possibly matching F-68 but I can't be sure about that. I do not think your coin matches F-68. So either that means your coin is a new variety or it matches S2-6002 and S2-6002 doesn't match F-68.

(thumbs u Thanks for the information skippy..

I have a F-68, Well what i think is hm (which is being conserved at it moment at NCS)

F-68

NCS2.jpg

New find

Ml1867.jpg

F-68 ?

NCS2-1.jpg

my new one ?

Ml1867D.jpg

Good luck working it out.. Arnt shields great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applause:

dooly :devil:

Based on the die crack your F-68 is indeed attributed correctly. The question would be whether the other coin is merely an earlier die stage of the same obverse or is a different die.

If the date positions are at all different, it's very hard to see.

How about checking if the reverses of the two coins are distinguishable? Sometimes that helps.

Based on the die crack your F-68 is indeed attributed correctly. The question would be whether the other coin is merely an earlier die stage of the same obverse or is a different die.

If the date positions are at all different, it's very hard to see.

How about checking if the reverses of the two coins are distinguishable? Sometimes that helps.

hm Early die stage .. sounds intresting !

When i get the F-68 back from NCS i will rescan it and see how it looks.

hear are the reverses together

F-68

NCS2r.jpg

New one

Ml1867R.jpg

They look like different reverses to me. The F-68 has a crack from the S (CENTS) leading eastward towards the rim). The other one has cracks from N and the T (both in CENTS) that lead towards the rim.

This strengthens the case that these are different obverses, but unfortunately is not definitive because the same obverse can appear with multiple reverses (and vice versa).

They look like different reverses to me. The F-68 has a crack from the S (CENTS) leading eastward towards the rim). The other one has cracks from N and the T (both in CENTS) that lead towards the rim.

This strengthens the case that these are different obverses, but unfortunately is not definitive because the same obverse can appear with multiple reverses (and vice versa).

As usual some great information.. (thumbs u

the coins have now been graded so hopefully i will be able to get them together very soon and have a look at them more closely

i will post my findings as soon as possible

thanks again dooly :devil: