• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok how does this work???

4 posts in this topic

I just purchased an MS63 graded 1863 IHC in an old NGC Fatty holder and while viewing the surfaces of the coin with a strong loop I noticed PVC on multiple spots on both obverse and reverse. What is NGC's position on this.....is it up to the owner of the coin to pay to have it conserved and reholdered or is there some guarantee that protects against this??? I am torn about sending it back becuase the coin looks like an upgrade but it's not a rare coin and I don't know if it's worth the hastle or any additional funds if I have to cover costs.

Thanks

They do still guarantee copper, but NGC only does so for ten years and I'm fairly sure all of the old fatties are now over ten years old.

Yes according to your list it would appear that the last time the used any of the fatty's was in 1997 so it's highly unlikely that mine was slabbed in December of 1997 making the guarantee still viable lol

It looks like others have thoughts that it could just some corrosion.....after looking again...I am not sure now hm