• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on these type coins, please.

17 posts in this topic

I was planning on trading the credit on the no stars half dime for some other coins. I personally like the two half dollars but am hesitant on the dime. Please, slam me with your honest opinions on these three coins. Thanks!

p.s. These are seller's pics that I auto enhanced only.

p.p.s. It is interesting to note also that the XF half has less wear than the AU half. :þ

48116-0.jpg.ad133e470720f55c37a03c458cf0793d.jpg

48117-000a.jpg.eb3f5c5b08716b6269c93f66f8b50d7a.jpg

48118-0000aa.jpg.282f50f5ce86f8ad22ec407e686ed02a.jpg

If I had to choose one coin it would be the 1853 NGC EF45 A&R half, which looks like it might have a pleasing obverse, but also has tape residue on the reverse and the reverse looks a bit light. In my opinion, the 1854-O NGC AU53 half and 1827 NGC VF30 dime are unsatisfactory hole-fillers. Truly, I would pass on all three coins given the images and my interpretation of them.

Thanks, Tom. I've never known you to be wrong before and I always respect your opinion.

I do like the 1853, have from the start despite the residue since it is easily removed with acetone. To my knowledge, it is non-destructive (the tape residue). Correct?

Anymore feedback?

Thanks, Mark, I agree. I appreciate your patience. I'm no rookie but I'm definitely wise enough to defer to greater knowledge.

What is your opinion on this type coin?

48122-0000a.jpg.88163897e05107da2683f5633c275b0c.jpg

Thanks, Mark, I agree. I appreciate your patience. I'm no rookie but I'm definitely wise enough to defer to greater knowledge.

What is your opinion on this type coin?

The brownish area at the lower obverse is slightly distracting, but other than that, I like it.

I'm going to shy away from the technical side of things and go by what strikes my fancy. The 1818-quarter jumped off the page. It’s a great year and I like the light and crusty look. My kinda coin! Good luck with your decision!

p.s. You said "It is interesting to note also that the XF half has less wear than the AU half." -- Although the photos make it tough to be sure, I suspect what you are seeing is a weak strike on the obverse of the 1854-O rather than wear. Compare the reverses in terms of wear and I think you'll agree that the '54 has less wear.

Of the four coins, I like the 1827 dime the best, and the bust quarter second best. I'm not too keen on the Seated coins. The quarter just barely makes the VF-20 grade, but seems to have good surfaces quality. The 1827 dime is priced right, and you should jump on it for sure, in my opinion.

As a long time type collector (since the 1960s) I’ll make two points.

First, from a financial perspective what you put into your collection depends upon two factors. How much is your budget and how long are you willing to take to get to where you want to go? Back when I was buying the core of my early type coin set, I’d have years where I could only afford a coupe coins. As a result it took me the better part of two decades to get where I am now. Most people don’t want to wait that long.

Second, these coins illustrate an often ignored truth about original coins. Not all of them are attractive. In fact the vast majority will have something that displeases someone in some respect. You either must accept those things or pass. The trouble is if you get too fussy you will find that you are missing a lot of opportunities.

Here are two type coins from set that most people here won’t like because they have dipped. Yet to me they were OK because the prices were fair, and I found the coins to be attractive examples of their kind that did not cost me a premium price. Sometimes, if you want to complete a set, you comprise a little on the coins that aren’t that important to you so that you can afford the landmark pieces that make up a good collection.

1838 No Drapery Dime, PCGS MS-64

1838DimeO.jpg1838DimeR.jpg

1831 Reduced Size Quarter, NCG AU-58

1831QuarterO.jpg1831QuarterR.jpg

I don't want to start another grade debate...but "the 54-O has more wear than the 53 " ????? On the 53 I see flattenned breasts, cheek, shoulder, and thigh and also on the cap at the end of the staff and the fingers...the 54-O has some wear but not nearly the same degree...I feel as if the grader got it right...I have never owned a Bust quarter but I know that I could find a nice place in my home for that 1818....good luck with your decision

PS: yes Bill, I absolutely hate those 2 beautiful coins :takeit:

Thanks for the input, guys. I decided to pass all around. Bill is very right to be patient and to wait for the right coin. None of the above was the right coin for me and I would have been settling in my impatience.

I am extremely happy with the 1796 dime I got from the same seller: type coin on ebay.

Happy Thanksgiving, Boardsters!!

Victor, none of them really call to me.

IMO the A&R design, especially the reverse, is just an absolutely cool design. I'd wait to find a nicer one of that coin and spend some more money on it.