• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Dollar Proof-Lide Guide

4 posts in this topic

I would not place a lot of faith in this guide---a lot has changed since 1981. A real DMPL better have at least 8 in. of reflectivity, or I'm not interested. There are lots of Morgan dollars in slabs that indicate that the coins are DMPL, when in fact they are somewhat overgraded. Be careful.

The problem with slabbed Morgans that are "PL" or "DMPL" is that it is difficult to evaluate actual reflectivity in the slab. I suspect that there's an awful lot of variation either way. Additional things to look for are the amount of cartwheel luster present (the less, the better) and the degree of contrast between the fields and devices.

I've seen this "PL Guide" before, a personally do think it's pretty useful.

I also think this is useful as a "guide", but that each person must understand the preference for a TPG with this designation and also the definition that the individual should develop.