• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of Bodybagged coins

6 posts in this topic

After waiting nearly a year since getting three coins BB'd out of five including a gorgeous 1859 IHC(which I thought was AU if not MS) and some other IHC's, I decided to submit some more IHC's(to include another MS 1859, I thought) and some Shields and an SCD. I was worried about an 1883 Shield that was too perfect in color. I have been sick lately as my posts show in regards to BB'd coins without a very detailed explanation(sick in my mind mostly). Today I received my grades and the only coin BB'd was the 1883 Shield for an improper cleaning-the rest were all MS coins in various grades(to include the 1859 IHC) except a 1901 IHC which I really believed to be MS but then that's me, but graded AU58. Some small thing I am sure halted the MS grade other than real wear-I admit to not being the greatest when viewing the headdress feather tips for wear(some I have thought to be worn were not and some I thought showed no wear were. I have worked with Mr. Snow's books and utilized his website and have always been answered by him. Thanks for his help I was 90% correct on this submission.

Mark as you can see I am not death on the TPG's or any grading agency, I just feel that they should be responsible not only for guarantees of their slabbed coins but for their reasoning for rejections. Thanks to all for listening. JMO

Congrats on the significantly improved submission. I am glad to see that you have been learning, and hope that we at the boards have played at least a part in this. These are the kinds of success stories we like to hear.

Jim---- I think what this proves is that you are getting better. And, it does take a lot of time----and mistakes. You do tend to get in tune with the graders over time. I call it getting into their heads so to speak. After awhile, you just seem to catch on---and wonder why you didn't see it before. Like finding hairlines for the first time---and then saying to yourself "I should have known that or seen that before".

If a person is self taught, it is doubly hard. I was and am mostly self taught. It is a pain to learn one thing at a time. To never really ever have a mentor to sit down with you----and point out stuff. Then, after years, you are the one passing on the information. But you still feel the need to learn more.

Much of it is HOW SERIOUSLY you get into this coin business. Are you just playing at it?? Or is it a real income to you? Is it extra money that you can afford to loose? Or is it money that you really do need to recover? If it is serious, then one must KNOW the ropes in order to play "the giant game". And, in order to become knowledgable, one MUST put in the time. Not an hour on Saturday or Sunday when the kids are in bed. But many, many hours---every week---every month and every year.

In doing all of this---it still can be a LOT OF FUN and very rewarding. But, in the end, the TPGS will NOT help you to learn----except in their rejection of your coins. Which, then in turn, will force the submitter to either learn how not to get BB by finding out the WHY of the BB. Or just keep spending good money after bad---and still getting more BB back---with that same "improperly cleaned" tag attached. Bob [supertooth]