• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this double-talk on Legendcoin web site coin inventory wherein....

70 posts in this topic

Most dealers at shows, including myself, use the blue sheet as a buying tool when offering money for certified coins. Blue Sheet bid for a 1934-S PCGS MS 65 Peace Dollar is $4,500 (50.3 % of the $8,950 asking price). So if you walk this coin up to a shop or show dealer I would say a decent offer is $4,500

Bull caca. Stick to your VF grades and don't assume the top end works the same way. Nice, hand picked key date PCGS material isn't available anywhere near bluesheet.

Does Legend have any expensive coins that are NOT CAC stickered?

Yes they do. I wonder what kind of a premium above bid the CAC stickered coins are carrying? That way, if I happen to acquire some in the future, I will have an idea how I may want to price them.

An intersting excel excercise - take a sample of a few of each and run an analysis of their asking prices vs CDN Bid. Are the CAC stickered coins priced higher above bid? How much more? Share the results.

Most dealers at shows, including myself, use the blue sheet as a buying tool when offering money for certified coins. Blue Sheet bid for a 1934-S PCGS MS 65 Peace Dollar is $4,500 (50.3 % of the $8,950 asking price). So if you walk this coin up to a shop or show dealer I would say a decent offer is $4,500

Bull caca. Stick to your VF grades and don't assume the top end works the same way. Nice, hand picked key date PCGS material isn't available anywhere near bluesheet.

Stick to your Trade Dollars - I would never pay above blue sheet for that coin. Hey, maybe you should go buy if from her. As far as nice certified material (including PCGS), I have bought a lot at blue sheet, especially at shows, the bay, etc.. Yes, a lot of them have cried, walked, balked, and cursed. But the ones that sold are the ones that mattered.

Why don't I find it surprising to find Parker and CC on the same side of this issue? hm

So as I may better judge whose viewpoint is more credible, yours or TDN's...Let me ask you a question, Parker, how many $4.5k+ coins have you purchased from bluesheet this year at your table?

For the record, I don't believe the issue pointed out by CC is double-talk -- then again I don't pay close attention to Legend's (or any other seller's) descriptions except to see if they identify problems not seen in the photos...

To me, it is all about price and pictures, not words -- and it's too early for me to tell if adding a sticker into that equation would change anything in my decision making progress...Mike

Stick to your Trade Dollars - I would never pay above blue sheet for that coin. Hey, maybe you should go buy if from her. As far as nice certified material (including PCGS), I have bought a lot at blue sheet, especially at shows, the bay, etc.. Yes, a lot of them have cried, walked, balked, and cursed. But the ones that sold are the ones that mattered.

You're a bottom feeder. I doubt you'd know a truly PQ classic mint state coin if it hit you in the forehead. You certainly can't buy one at bluesheet. And if by chance you do, you just ripped off the seller.

I am a businessman and bottom feeder is not the only name some low life in here has called me. I do agree there are many in here (birds of the same flock shall we say) that it has become obvious would not fit in my business plan. So what? But to call me names for expressing my opinions - really low, if not quite a 2 faced farce.

TDN you remind me of a carnie laughing at my throw while at the same time pressing a hidden lever with his foot to make the target move. Sorry, but your booth won't be getting my business.

Because you deal in low dollar items that you willingly profess to stick to bluesheet to buy, how do you feel justified in expressing an opinion on high end multithousand dollar material??? The markets are completely different - especially now. Your opinion has no credibility in this instance.

If Legend stuck to bluesheet to buy their material, they'd have zero inventory.

Here is a rule of thumb I follow with US coins and world coins alike:

The bluesheet is for overgraded dregs, you're not gonna' get PQ coins for those prices listed

The same goes for Krause with world coins. For really nice stuff, look at the "value" listed and add on a hefty surcharge.

Here is a rule of thumb I follow with US coins and world coins alike:

The bluesheet is for overgraded dregs, you're not gonna' get PQ coins for those prices listed

The same goes for Krause with world coins. For really nice stuff, look at the "value" listed and add on a hefty surcharge.

Precisely. There is no way that a dealer will be able to maintain an inventory of nice MS (or even XF-AU) 18th- and 19th-century coins in today's market by simply looking at a numerical grade on a slab and paying Bluesheet. So, is your customer base primarily collectors for whom a $500 purchase is a big deal? There will always be collectors who foolishly build up accumulations of low-end coins and then have to take correspondingly low-end offers when they sell. The top dealers cater to a vastly different clientele, collectors who, for the most part, won't put up with coins that aren't nice for their grades.

A free lunch (i.e., nice coin cheaply obtained) is an infrequent occurrence in numismatics, and collectors make a big deal out of the sport of cherrypicking for exactly this reason. As a collector, I expect to get what I pay for. Dealers need to understand that this also applies to them. Savvy dealers in today's market, who stand the best chance of weathering the next bear market, understand that they need a two-way market---making sales of coins at fair prices to their clients and also buying their coins back and acquiring nice, fresh coins. If they fail to execute where the latter is concerned, they will wind up with stale inventories that are awash in second-rate coins. That is precisely what I see lots of when I visit B&M dealers in AZ, CA, and FL. People sometimes speak of a two-tier market where pricing is concerned---I think that it's also appropriate to speak of a two-tier market when referring to B&M dealers. The internet has opened up more avenues for collectors to dispose of their coins than existed 30 years ago, and many collectors are choosing to sell off their coins to other collectors, bypassing dealers.

The top dealers cater to a vastly different clientele, collectors who, for the most part, won't put up with coins that aren't nice for their grades.

With the way today's grading is going there are many collectors who are blinded by the TPG grades. Many "collectors" of these higher valued coins are merely investors. Now there are collectors who indeed truly value this hobby, but a great many are just looking to see how quick they can flip this coin and for how much. Don't believe what I am saying? Just how many times have we tracked a coin down that was in TPG holder X, which later resurfaces in TPG holder X but a higher grade. Same coin, but a new slab and a big sticker jump. Now some of these coins were truly undergraded, but a great many now think alot of these coins are overgraded. All you have to do is take a gander at the Heritage Auction Archives. We must remember not everybody with wads of money is a good grader. Some people cannot tell PQ anything when they see it.

Bruce, according to their auction archives, Heritage has sold 9 PCGS MS65 examples in 2007, Guess how many of them sold for the $4500 figure listed in the CCDN? Guess how many sold for only $1000 more than that? Hint - both answers are the same and something tells me that Parker won't be buying any. By the way, the last 3 have averaged approximately $8600 in price.

No one from CAC wants to answer the question : After a CAC coin is purchased, What is CAC's buy back price and which dealers will buy it back ?

Where does CAC post their buy back prices?

Indeed, where does CAC post their buy-back prices ?
From my understanding the CAC does not have posted buy-back prices. A CAC sticker lets a dealer know the coin has been seen and an opinion given by a CAC grader. That way they should be more comfortable making a sight unseen bid.

From my understanding the CAC does not have posted buy-back prices. A CAC sticker lets a dealer know the coin has been seen and an opinion given by a CAC grader. That way they should be more comfortable making a sight unseen bid.

10% back of Blue Sheet?

10% back of Blue Sheet?

Seriously, where did you come up with that "10% back of Blue Sheet" figure? Do you believe it (and if so, based upon what?) or are you doing an impersonation of a forum troll?

• Administrator

Let's try not to have too many redundant threads on this topic, please. At some point it's just spawning repeated threads to rehash things. The topic and conversation are alright, but let's not over do it on the multiple-thread-creation.

Hey, Arch - doesn't it tell ya something when a dozen people put a post on their ignore list? ;)
Not only that, but another dozen put a post(er) on their ignore list. :devil:

10% back of Blue Sheet?

Seriously, where did you come up with that "10% back of Blue Sheet" figure? Do you believe it (and if so, based upon what?) or are you doing an impersonation of a forum troll?

Actually, I was joking. You guys are taking all of this way too seriously.

10% back of Blue Sheet?

My apologies - from your post(s) I had no idea that you were joking.

10% back of Blue Sheet?

My apologies - from your post(s) I had no idea that you were joking.

Moi aussi.

I think CC had some valid questions. Where are your answers? All I see is lowlife behaviour by a couple of you putting him down, calling people names. How two faced - its becoming obvious thru all your spin who the real trolls are in here.

Make fun of the bluesheet if you will - its a nationally published buy list. And I will take that anyday over somebody's sales pitch. What buy list have you published? And yes, dealers will offer below blue sheet. I have seen this firsthand.