• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Newp's: Fire away with Feedback

31 posts in this topic

Well, boardsters, I got the coins today! And the opinions expressed panned out.

The 1796 dime is awesome! There are no rim nicks anywhere and has honest wear. It was weakly struck on the left obverse which accounts the the apparent uneveness of the wear but the wear on the reverse shows that this is not the case. It has what appears to be an original skin on it and the tape residue on the reverse is barely noticeable in hand.

The is the perfect low grade early type coin for someone on a budget like I am. It cost me $1650.

The no stars half dime, on the other hand, is a dog. Eeck! Spit...spit! It looks like it was polished to a high gloss and then minimally retoned in an album. There is a large, noticeable hit on the obverse right field as well. No luster is apparent at all. This coin should have been a no brainer body bag. It is awful. Even if it were original, the huge nick would have caused me to hesitate. So, needless to say, I sent that coin back today. I picked the two coins up today at the post office since the postal carrier was too lazy to take the elevator up to the third floor and knock on the door yesterday. I opened the package in my truck and immediately liked the dime and immediately disliked the half dime. There was no debating over either coin. The half dime was packaged and returned w/i 15 minutes of its receipt.

The 1796 dime is PCGS AG3. The 1837 half dime is NGC MS63.