• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warm champagne hues

11 posts in this topic

Does warm champagne hues = dip residue?

What does dip residue usually look like? how does it appear? How can you tell dip residue from natural toning?

I believe the answer to your question is both yes and no, Mike.

I know my proof here is completely natural champagne toning. So, at least this will point out what original champagne toning looks like.

47298-1885SeatedQuarterObverse-ReverseMerged.jpg.7cf5b85216f69537ddaf0690c1b9c2b1.jpg

47299-1885SeatedLibertyQuarter.jpg.024753bacd18d5d1be415226f076dc97.jpg

47301-1885SeatedLibertyQuarter.jpg.2f375348026ccc7e460e3992319afe31.jpg

While I suspect Mike wasn't talking about a coin toned such as your own, and with all due respect, EZ, how do you know that coin wasn't dipped and retoned?

That said, I'm usually cautions when a silver coin shows only champagne toning, and, like you, it always has my numismatic antenna at attention when I see one that does, because of this color's association with an old dipping. I'll look later this afternoon for an example of what I'm talking about..Mike

You're right, Mike, I can't say absolutely for sure but my instincts say otherwise. The coin's surface has no appearance of a residue. The surface is highly reflective and has a homgenous mellow tone thoughout with no spots or discolorations besides that which is seen in the photos. Even different photos can't truly show the appearance of a coin although the first pic more accurately represents it in hand. So, in my opinion only, this example shows an originally toned proof. The method of toning I could only guess at but most likely envelope toning I'd say. 2c

For the most part, in my experience (which is certainly more limited than the experience of others), dip residue shades a bit more toward russet than yellow/gold. It sits on the surface of the coin and clouds the luster.

Dip residue can sometimes look deceptively like toning to the naked eye, especially when a coin is viewed under a narrow-beam light (like a halogen lamp) that accentuates luster. The brightness of the reflection makes it more difficult to see the cloudiness of the residue. It's easier to see the cloudiness -- and other imperfections on the surface of the coin (as opposed to imperfections in the surface, like a ding or scratch) -- when viewed with a standard incandescent lamp.

Sorry for the delay. Here's an example of the type of "champagne" toning I'm talking about, and generally very suspicious of:

AN19471573-oz.jpg

AN19471573-rz.jpg

Ref: http://www.stacks.com/lotdetail.aspx?lrid=AN00078198

I don't think this is the result of dip residue, per se, but I do think this type of toning and the impared luster that generally goes with it is indicitative of a prior dipping.

All my humble and honest opinion...Mike

p.s. I would really like to hear the opinions from some of the more experienced numismatists among us -- hint hint. :grin:

I think that Lou sums it up in that a residue will leave a cloudy appearance that coats the coin. It makes sense that a halogen light source will more easily reveal it.

It makes sense that a halogen light source will more easily reveal it.

Except I said just the opposite. :makepoint:

Ouch, ouch, ouch..... point taken. Next thing you'll come with torches to take Victor like Frankenstien to ye ole dungeon. :o

So, with the proper light source a film should be evident. [flinch--looking to see the hammer come down!]