• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Put on your thinking caps........1889 Morgan strikethrough

7 posts in this topic

This is the other coin of a lot that I won in the Scotsman auction. The strikethrough had been noted in the auction description, and I must say that I am very curious as to what may have caused it.

It is relatively narrow as it extends diagonally from IGWT across the eagle's wing and breast, but south of the arrows, it widens substantially. Ultimately, it splits apart in two different directions to the left and right of the 2nd "L" in DOLLAR. However, contrary to the auction description and with the aid of the microscope, it is visible across the top of the arrowheads, shafts and the leaves of the wreath immediately above the "L". The strikethrough has an unusual pattern that does not appear to be repetitive, but it is somewhat similar. The shallow depth of the impression leads me to believe that the foreign object was fairly thin.

My first reaction when looking at it was that it may have been caused by a discarded piece of electrical insulation. Wiring, even into the 1940's, was commonly insulated using textiles. It could even have been the insulation from an oil or hydraulic line. That is why I posed the question in another thread about electrical service at the Philadelphia Mint in 1889. In that thread, I learned that there was apparently no electrical service in 1888. Could it have been that wiring for simple services was being installed in 1889, and a worker stripped the insulation from the wire and casually discarded it where it eventually came to rest in the coining press?

It even looks like it could have been a dried snakeskin. I've seen instances where a snake has shed its skin, and it curled around itself in the course of drying. It will often split in the area where the snake is extracting itself from the old skin.

Anyway, I find unusual specimens like this to be very interesting and thought-provoking. I try to imagine myself as a Mint employee in 1889, and what, in my workplace, could have been responsible for this. So, let your imagination take hold and tell me what you think may have happened.

By the way, even though it wouldn't photograph well through the microscope, the right side of the base of the "1" of the date has "five steps". lol There is some doubling of the date, and the inside of the lower loop of the first "8" has a very odd shape.

Chris

PS. This is in an NGC MS64 slab. I wonder if they would accept this for resubmission to note the "Mint Error - Strikethrough" on the insert?

47147-1889STRIKETHROUGHARROWHEAD.jpg.a2d573dbe1985349564471963b939abb.jpg

I don't know why I can't get the photos to post. I guess I'm just stupid, but I've had this problem ever since we changed to the new format. I give up!

589a93f916af5_47157-1889STRIKETHROUGHVIEW6.jpg.635fd7683defd8a71c4cedbc18802ff6.jpg

589a93f919879_47158-1889STRIKETHROUGHVIEW5.jpg.28468236562ef2a42fda8ac76fd6c33e.jpg

The pattern does fit your electrical insulation theory bu tis unlikely. It does appear that something cylindrical and hollow was sliced length ways and was splayed open and struck through. But what kept it from curling up upon itself?

But it also looks like the contrails from 3 blue angel jets. Or it could be the frustration vapors coming from your ears since you can't post pics. (shrug)

I wish I could show you the other photos, Victor. Unfortunately, this is the only complaint I have about the CS Boards. The old format worked very well for me, but since the change, it seems I've gotten the short end of the stick.

By the way, it looks like NGC may have goofed on that Centennial SCD you posted. According to the book, it is the HK58 which shares a common reverse with the HK48-51.

Chris

CPM, I'm assuming this board won't draw enough traffic to kill my hosting, if you PM me, I can host the images for you and then you can just drop them into the post with an img src html tag.

Thanks, Ted! I appreciate the offer, but that still won't solve the problem which appears to be inherent in the new format. I've paid my membership fees just like everyone, and I feel that it is the responsibility of the Collectors' Society managers to correct the problem which has effectively barred me from complete participation. I've raised this issue before, and I am not satisfied with the responses that I have received. Maybe it is time to go to someone of higher authority.

Chris

I don't know why you're having problems, Chris. Someone showed you how to embed images w/i the text. If you want to tack them on the end then add as many files as you want under File Manager. You doofus! <3