• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the Philadelphia Mint

6 posts in this topic

I can't say about 1889 but examination of the annual report for 1886 seems to show that they did not have electrical service at that time. That's the closest I can get.

Haven't been able to find anything. Curious question, what are you after?

One of the Morgans I won in the Scotsman auction has an interesting strike-through on the reverse, and I'm just trying to develop some theories about the cause. I will be posting a thread about it in the next couple of days.

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm just back from the Santa Clara show and am catching up on these postings, thus the delay in responding.

Everything I've read indicates that the various U. S. Mints electrified their coin presses in the mid-late 1890s, eliminating steam as a source of power. It's possible that the lighting and other auxilliary services were electrified earlier. More likely is that the conversion to electricity was made across the board at about the same time, since the use of natural gas for lighting and electricity for other operations would have been a bit hazardous.

The answers will be found in the mint director's reports for those years, but I don't have ready access to these. I do have a website saved that has some of these reports online, so anyone could probably find them by Googling "Annual Report of the Director of the Mint."