• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some help please with a buffalo nickel

10 posts in this topic

I have a 1913 P TI Buff that has some spots on the obverse that I wonder if could be helped by NCS. What do you think? I know the carbon spot on the reverse cannot be helped, but these front spots look less deep and are brown rather than black(some small black spots exist but the brown spots are truly detracting). Also a grade would be helpful if you are able to utilize these pictures to do so. Thanks.

1913PTIBuffaloNickel.jpg

My honest opinion is that you will pay nearly as much in conservation fees as the coin is worth, which makes sending in for conservation or slabbing not a good idea in my opinion. It appears to be an AU coin to me and those burnt in black specks on the obverse may be there to stay.

Thanks KC and James, I totally forgot about ASK NCS. I have posted to them. Still a grade if possible would be helpful.

Regarding grade, this is a coin that probably shouldn't have any more spent on it from the financial standpoint. I would only have work done IF it has some sort of sentimental value. Otherwise, it's such a common coin and so available in high grades that your are better off pursuing an alternative example.

If the spots were not there, the coin would be worth less than $20. It's got a rub, and it's not a great strike. Nineteen thirteen Type 1 Buffalo nickels come well struck and lots of nice to gem Uncs. were saved. This coin is not worth the cost of sending it to NCS.

I thank you all for your input. I agree in regards to the coins value, but I see a little something in this particular coin that interests me moreso than normal. I remember when the 2001 American Buffalo coins came out and many were upset in regards to the chiseled stone effect/look of the fields. This coin has that chiseled look in its fields. I have compared it to 20 coins on Heritage(11 on the first page under 1913 Buff) from MS63 thru MS67 ANACS, NGC, and PCGS, of which none have the chiseled fields. While some are more porous than others, they still do not have the stone chiseled look. I'm not saying this coin is more valuable than any other coin of its ilk, just that it interested me and that I would like to clean it up if possible to keep. With only $15 in the coin and the fact that I plan to keep it was my reasoning for considering NCS.

The following two comparison pics show what I mean, hopefully. The coin on the left was an NGC MS64. I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks, but I hope this better explains my intentions. Thanks again to all who responded.--Jim

1913TIBuffCompareobv.jpg

1913TIBuffComparerev.jpg

I'm still not certain I follow your logic since the type one 1913 Buffalos have the look you are writing about, since they were intentionally produced that way, and it would be the exception to find a type one without the chisel effect.

Obviously, I've not gotten my view across in regards to this coin. The fact is. that this type I field treatment, is the reason I started looking for a specimen of the

Type I. The higher quality coins-MS63 through MS67 seemed to me to be only more or less porous rather than chiseled. The lower quality in and around AU-MS61 have a more chiseled look to them, this coin included. This just might be my perception and after looking at many, many on Heritage and Ebay I may be failing to consider lighting as a detractor to the effect. If so, I apologize for wasting everyone's time. It would be so nice to be able to have these coins in hand rather than through photos but my location precludes that. Thanks again for your time.