• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes a collection?

6 posts in this topic

I have never completed a set of any coin series. My entire coin collecting life has consisted of finding coins that are interesting to me....mostly early American coins, but also older foreign coins, errors, medals, tokens and currency. I just never had the urge to have a complete set of anything. Rather, I like to find nice examples of various types and not just 1 or 2 of each type. If I find a group of interesting half cents, I will buy them, budget permitting. Antiquity and condition seem to be my biggest criteria for my personal collection.

A couple of things make for an interesting set. Of course The Cardinal Collection of early dollars has everything; historic coins from a period that is of great interest and importants to me. Add to the history the completeness and the awesome preservation of the coins and it makes for a very interesting and appealing collection of coins.

Short of that type of outstanding collection something that's complete but not necessary the absolute highest grade available. Actually I don't mind an assortment of coins in various conditions. The not so attractive highlight the gems in the collection. My set of toned Franklins is an example of that.

To me a collection is but a group of anything, not even necessarily complete. I think the only thing I can add to this thread is my belief that a collection in numismatics can never, ever, ever, be complete, and that's the best part. Always a way to upgrade, or improve, and to expand, or conversely minimize. sign-rantpost.gif

A collection to me is a group of items that has something in common. For example I collect type coins, so I'm interested in every design that has appeared on regularly issued U.S. coins that were made for circulaiton from 1792 to the present.

I also collect presidential campaign items. In the 1800s that included many tokens, medalets and medals that every major party candidate issued from 1824 to 1895. One goal was to get at least one piece for each major party candidate (not as easy as it sounds because Jame K. Polk (, 1844) and Louis Cass (, 1848) medalets are very scarce. After that I have been collecting pieces with slogans that covered the major issues for each campaign, Lincoln itmes, and whatever strikes my fancy.

Two other things make something a collection. It should be properly stored for preservation purposes that fit the value of the items, and it should be in some logical order. That shows that some thought has gone into the collection.