• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Five Stages of Acquisition

11 posts in this topic

The Ferengi in their wisdom, recognize the Five Stages of Acquisition

1. Infatuation

2. Justification

3. Appropriation

4. Obsession

5. Resale

Relate your own story about how you have experienced these stages...

Gint.jpg

I've gone through all five many, many, many, many times. Sometimes I slam my way through them; sometimes I just ease my way through them, but then I usually find myself shifting from neutral to first and driving all over again.

Chris

Although I may not use the same terms for these stages, I believe I go through them all but perhaps in different order, priority and many times will change that pattern before any decision. All things must be considered.

The most important things I have learned about this hobby is patience, understanding, knowledge and education before any decision in any form.

Rey

1) ANGER ~ It should have been mine!

2) DENIAL ~ Nah, he really didn't get it.

3) BARGAINING ~ Wanna flip it for a profit?

4) JUSTIFICATION ~ Well, maybe he needed it more that I did.

5) ACCEPTANCE ~ Ok, cool. I'm glad that he filled that slot in his collection.

INFATUATION-- In 1973 I fell in love with a pair of Washington Quarters in Mel's Coin Shop-Johnson City, TN, 1932 D and S-which appeared to in Fine condition.

Justification---Mel wanted $45 and $35 for the coins. I had $70 in my pocket, which he accepted!

Appropriation--Placed coins in my pocket along with my hand which never left them until I got home.

Obsession--Took them to every coin show/meet for 6 months as the proud owner.

Resale--In April of this year I was well on my way to an Uncirculated set of Washington's and placed the two for sale on Ebay-garnered $390 for the pair. I'm not sure that after 34 years that was a good investment or not, but I feel it was.

I almost never have an obsession or infatuation with a coin. And since I consider resale for every coin I buy, that is my usual justification. I was disappointed though when I lost out on one coin in the recent Goldberg sale because my computer was too slow in the live auction.

A stage I don't believe you have mentioned.

Remorse - when you realize you made a mistake in acquiring the coin. Either you paid too much or it has some defect you missed on initial inspection.

I've had a few of those as well. I generally get rid of them to cut my loss.

A stage I don't believe you have mentioned.

Remorse - when you realize you made a mistake in acquiring the coin. Either you paid too much or it has some defect you missed on initial inspection.

OR

Selling a coin or a set that you wished you hadn't :)

I one nobody said that i had to deal with .But Honey it's only

Don't have that one anymore hell married to a CPA for 37 yrs she's gone so is most of the money.I'll make a comeback maybe even get a job someday but for now I'm going fishing again.