• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rattlers and Fattys....let me see whatcha got?

49 posts in this topic

Hi, In regards to Old NGC black holders, there is a 1891 O MS64 morgan currently on ebay. One dealer told me that D.L. from NGC told him that there are only 36 black holders out there at maximun based on the tags that were returned. Is that accurate? Thanks

I doubt that is accurate but I can tell you there aren't a lot of them still around and you have to pay a very steep premium for coins housed in them so.......buy the coin and not the plastic lol

I would love to own one......but unless you get lucky and find a nocice who doesn't know what they have........I can't afford even a common date Morgan in a black slab :censored:

Hi, In regards to Old NGC black holders, there is a 1891 O MS64 morgan currently on ebay. One dealer told me that D.L. from NGC told him that there are only 36 black holders out there at maximun based on the tags that were returned. Is that accurate? Thanks

I don't think that is accurate. I know of one or two folks with mini hoards of black holder NGC coins that might add up to that number from their holdings alone. Additionally, the first white NGC-slabbed coins used the same insert as the black label slabs. Therefore, if one were to return the insert there would have been no way to know if the coin was from a black slab or a white slab. Regardless, folks were never that responsible to return the tags so I doubt there was such a high return rate for the tags of black holdered coins.

For anyone interested, you can find that black holder here.

According to the eBay listing, this coin was sold by Heritage at FUN in January. You can find that listing here.

Scott :hi:

Additionally, the first white NGC-slabbed coins used the same insert as the black label slabs. Therefore, if one were to return the insert there would have been no way to know if the coin was from a black slab or a white slab.

Unless NGC had records stating the date of slabbing for each insert number and knew what date the black ended and white started [a very probable premise].

I would find a maximum of 36 to be unreasonably low. A minimum maybe but not a maximum. For one thing a lot of them were cracked and resubitted either to NGC or PCGS and the labels were never sent back in so that would throw the count off. If they actualy did run through the records and determined that all but 36 had had their labels returned then then there are probably more slabsout there than there are labels. In the past ten years I know of about 12 different coins and I'm sure there are significantly more tha that still around. I would put a top figure at about 200 or so still in existance.

The eBay auction mentions that only 6 other offerings of black NGC slabs have appeared. That is about right, but three of them were of the same slab, which is now in my collection. I also don't think that includes the two empty slabs that have sold on eBay. (The cheap way to get a black NGC, only about $75. But they show up even less often than whole slabs.)

3 of my favorite rattlers...and by the way, you can turn the Walkers so that they are upright if you tap them in the right spot-they're a bit bottom heavy.....all 3 appear undergraded by todays standards...gotta love it. When was the last time you saw a lustrous full skirt line Walker only graded a 64?

46676-MVC-368S.JPG.cdcece7eb84e2005c2801d83da1f453b.JPG

46677-MVC-369S.JPG.2a30dbac37d873728a5d3f36d8ff197d.JPG

46678-MVC-370S.JPG.1b87c6468b2eff14a1c50156a7bd6564.JPG

46679-MVC-371S.JPG.801a196174944aa4a3817acdd700b029.JPG

46680-MVC-372S.JPG.b2fc569262506b3dd40dcc16f8be85e7.JPG

46681-MVC-373S.JPG.9b774c9d522ae2a1e82771f967f0ae80.JPG

46682-MVC-366S.JPG.636f892efd54befb79c55630eafc9ff3.JPG

46683-MVC-367S.JPG.a3a57476cf359d3119d2b85ccd398e9e.JPG

Nice looking coins everyone!

The stuff going on on the reverse is on the slab. This is currently graded PR68 in an OGH.

sh1969kh.jpg

I am real happy to see this thread still going.....considering that 90% of what I am buying right now is old NGC holdered coins :applause:

1899OMorganObv.jpg

1899OMorganRev.jpg

1885Morganobv.jpg

1885Morganrev.jpg

a69e_3.jpg

a899_3.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: