• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation Results Now in !!!!!!!!!!

4 posts in this topic

Hi all please check out my latest experiment on the world coins forum

please feel free to comment on the conservation results (thumbs u

Hello, Dooly.

I have several old U.S. type coins, decent stuff from early -mid 1800's that came back in body bags from PCGS and in a few instances, I do NOT know why. But I respect their work so I don't question...much.

As a new member of the NGC Collector's Club...I have a certificate for 5 submissions and had toyed with sending some to NCS. Just not sure. You have wonderful coins in your post that were "conserved". I guess I'm a little slow in my understanding of conservation. Most of the coins you posted do have more eye-appeal after "conservation" but being an "I like it natural" kind of collector, the "cleaned" look on some just doesn't appeal to me. May I ask, does "conservation" imply that the coins have been treated because they would possibly deteriorate over time if left untreated? Or, does the service improve appearance of the coins to make them more collectible because they wouldn't "slab"? I hope this post does not offend...not intended to be sure...but if the coins were not in danger of deteriorating further (possibly PVC residue for example), what made you make the decision to have NCS conserve them? I may go this route too, but I want to understand better the purpose of NCS and could benefit from your experience if I may so impose..

Many thanks!!! RI AL

May I ask, does "conservation" imply that the coins have been treated because they would possibly deteriorate over time if left untreated? Or, does the service improve appearance of the coins to make them more collectible because they wouldn't "slab"?

The first option would be a good reason for conservation, but in most cases NCS does the conservation for the second reason, or even so one that will or has slabbed will upgrade upon regrading. In short the coins are cleaned to improve their appearance.

Hello, Dooly.

I have several old U.S. type coins, decent stuff from early -mid 1800's that came back in body bags from PCGS and in a few instances, I do NOT know why. But I respect their work so I don't question...much.

As a new member of the NGC Collector's Club...I have a certificate for 5 submissions and had toyed with sending some to NCS. Just not sure. You have wonderful coins in your post that were "conserved". I guess I'm a little slow in my understanding of conservation. Most of the coins you posted do have more eye-appeal after "conservation" but being an "I like it natural" kind of collector, the "cleaned" look on some just doesn't appeal to me. May I ask, does "conservation" imply that the coins have been treated because they would possibly deteriorate over time if left untreated? Or, does the service improve appearance of the coins to make them more collectible because they wouldn't "slab"? I hope this post does not offend...not intended to be sure...but if the coins were not in danger of deteriorating further (possibly PVC residue for example), what made you make the decision to have NCS conserve them? I may go this route too, but I want to understand better the purpose of NCS and could benefit from your experience if I may so impose..

Many thanks!!! RI AL

Great questions .. and sorry for the slow response.. I think its a bit of all the points you raised why conservation ! i am not the "normal" type of collector, as most will tell you hear :insane:.. I guess i get most of my coins conserved because they are troubling me in some way .. like the rosa america which was just going to get worse over time, but in no way would it ever Grade but i will never sell it and i want to keep it in my collection forever..but things like the 1937 Portuguese .. well it was such poor toning it just had to have something done to it. But if i did decide to sell it i guess it would go for a lot more than the UN-conserved one..

So i guess i have my coins conserved because i want them done

Ps some of the coins will be sent to NGC . but only because i want them protected and because i am curious to see if they will now be gradable

all the best dooly