• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arkansas and Bay Bridge Commems Arrive

9 posts in this topic

Both are nice for the grade. Nothing fancy, just some nice examples for my set. :)

The Arkansas half dollar is a good example of a worthy project discredited through greed and poor management. Although this issue was the product of a state-sanctioned committee, this group’s actions were more in character for racketeers. That the design of this coin was something less than an artistic success only added to the controversy. Still, time has a way of healing old wounds, and coin collectors today seek the halves of this type as avidly as any others in the U. S. commemorative series.

DSCN4413A.jpg

DSCN4421.jpg

DSCN4424.jpg

Of the many different themes which have appeared on United States commemorative coins, by far the most common are those pertaining to historic anniversaries, such as the Pilgrim Tercentenary and the Sesquicentennial of American Independence. In a similar vein, a number have honored statehood centennials, such as those of Illinois and Missouri. Some recognize great Americans — Booker T. Washington and Ulysses S. Grant come to mind. Regrettably, very few have marked achievements in the field of engineering. The 1915-S Panama-Pacific International Exposition coins may be included within this group, as they commemorate the world’s fair which itself celebrated the completion of the Panama Canal. The only coin dedicated solely to recognition of an engineering triumph, however, is the 1936-S half dollar issued to mark the opening of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge in November of that year.

DSCN4387A.jpg

DSCN4391.jpg

DSCN4392.jpg

In your opinion, how does the strike on the reverse of the Bay Bridge compare to what one normally finds? I am just wondering, because these aren't really my field.

You can see the port holes in the ship. Very nice strike to me.

Appreciate everyones kind words. Very happy with these two.