• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Services: Which One is Best and Why????

46 posts in this topic

TDN is correct in noting that the issue of conflict of interest is most accurately attributed to DH and CU as a whole. PCGS is just a sub-entity that may or may not be embroiled in any possible malfeasance.

BTW, I'm not picking at nits here. The distinction is important because that which may happen to DH or CU as a whole will not nearly have the same impact as on PCGS (or DHRC, B&M, Lyn Knight, Kingswood, etc.).

Like it or not, there is a reason why a goodly number of folks prefer the coins in PCGS slabs. Do not completely attribute this to a successful marketing campaign. It would be too simple to say that a significant %-age of the industry views the grading service of PCGS in high regard just because they are sheep. After some point, the service providers actually have to put out a quality product, or else the community as a whole willl turn on them.

EVP

Like it or not, there is a reason why a goodly number of folks prefer the coins in PCGS slabs. Do not completely attribute this to a successful marketing campaign. It would be too simple to say that a significant %-age of the industry views the grading service of PCGS in high regard just because they are sheep. After some point, the service providers actually have to put out a quality product, or else the community as a whole willl turn on them.

I'm trying to figure out how to properly respond here....but I'll give it a shot.

Why do people prefer the PCGS graded coin?

1) As to the "marketing campaign" I don't think that matters a bit. So that probably isn't the reason, IMO.

2) As to the "sheep" idea: I tend to disagree with you because there are a good number of people with a VAST amount of INexperience that are paying big dough on high grade material they couldn't grade themseleves. This is a good example of "sheep". So this might be a reason....

3) As to the "quality product": What is this product exactly? You and I both know it isn't the coin itself so what is it then? It really comes down to two things, consistant grading and customer service. And in both cases NGC has the advantage, IMO. Maybe not that much better in consistancy but certainly in customer service.

So what makes people prefer the PCGS graded coin? The ONLY thing I can think of is that PCGS is perceived as being

more conservative with the grading. This, though, is certainly NOT the case in many series. So what is it then?

I do not mean to over-simplify anything here but the fact remains PCGS coins do bring a premium. So the PQ coins do tend to gravitate there. Why? I'm still not certain but I'm leaning toward the "blind sheep" theory... laugh.gif

jom

People prefer PCGS because .... people prefer PCGS. It's a self fulfilling prophesy. The money gravitates toward that holder, so the top dollar coins gravitate there as well. By staking out the top end, they get to cherrypick the other services' coins and take only the best. So the best appearing coins for the grade tend to be in that holder. It's that simple.

Personally, I'll buy a coin in either holder - provided I like the price and quality and I'm reasonably certain it isn't going to turn black in a year. wink.gif

Here are a few possibilities; the advertisements, the media, promotions, the fact that most collectors don't know how to grade, the possibility that one slab looks better and is more popular then others, erroneous population reports and inflated price lists. When the 5th 1913 nickel surfaced, was NGC there to help authenticate

the rarity? Most of society's coin collectors are suckers when it comes to buying coins. What you and I know will not change the foothold P893censored-thumb.gif$ seems to have on the numismatic coin hobby.

Would we be better of if all the services used some sort of scanning software (the same program) to detect features and flaws in each coin and grade it mathematically? A complete print out of the exact specifications could be included with each coin.

Is there a benefit to subjectivity or would we benefit more with accuracy?

Would we be better of if all the services used some sort of scanning software (the same program) to detect features and flaws in each coin and grade it mathematically? A complete print out of the exact specifications could be included with each coin.

Is there a benefit to subjectivity or would we benefit more with accuracy?

Sounds like the beginnings for a new thread. 27_laughing.gif

Gradeing coins is simple, if only the TGC's would follow my lead. 27_laughing.gif

The only reason we have grading companies, is to help dealers peddle their crummy coins that would otherwise, not sell if they were raw. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leo

What you suggest has been considered and tried, I believe, for Morgan silver dollars. The trouble is, which is worse, one noticeable scratch or many smaller ones? Is a scratch on the cheek worth as much as two or three in the field? Is a carbon spot (a black spot) worse than a scratch? Is a scratch on the reverse less of problem than one on the obverse. How about a weakly struck coin that has no scratches? Is it an MS-70? Could it be called an MS-65? Believe it or not such coin often come back MS-64 or lower.

There are just too many variables to put in a computer program, and this is just for ONE SERIES.

No the scanners will not be replacing human graders any time soon.

What you suggest has been considered and tried, I believe, for Morgan silver dollars. The trouble is, which is worse, one noticeable scratch or many smaller ones? Is a scratch on the cheek worth as much as two or three in the field? Is a carbon spot (a black spot) worse than a scratch? Is a scratch on the reverse less of problem than one on the obverse. How about a weakly struck coin that has no scratches? Is it an MS-70? Could it be called an MS-65? Believe it or not such coin often come back MS-64 or lower.

There are just too many variables to put in a computer program, and this is just for ONE SERIES.

No the scanners will not be replacing human graders any time soon.

Hi Bill

Excellent point! Do you believe the human factor could do a better job then a computer. Here's an article about computer coin grading.

Leo

Great coin grading website, Leo! Thanks for pointing it out to us.

Mike

Yea but is it credible! Sounded like a longwinded explaination to qualm the noise

from those who would really like to see some consistency in grading coins. All they would need to do is designate two grades on the slab. Or add an opinion or two. This new information, to me anyway, just makes me want to spit! foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo