• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doolys risky bids came today Results posted..

3 posts in this topic

Hi all .. Yep they came today What do you think ?

LOT:1

lot2.jpg

Coin 1 Spanish 5 Pesetas 1871 25.000g silver (not bad condition)

Coin 2 Irish 10 pence 1980

Coin 3 Spanish 5 Pesetas 1957

Coin 4 USA Quarter 1979 (actually needed it for my Dansco lol)

Coin 5 German 2 Mark 1979

Coin 6 South Africa 1 Shilling 1897 (silver)

Coin 7 Portugal $5 1979

Coin 8 USA $ 1979 P

Coin 9 India 1 Rupee 1907 (silver)

Coin 10 Spain 5 pesters 1975

Coin 11 Hong kong $5 1993

Coin 12 Spain 1949

What do you think worth the $2 i payed for the lot ?

Favorite coins from this lot:-

Lot11.jpg

Lot:2

lot1.jpg

Coin 1 France 10 centimes 1924

Coin 2 English Shilling Charles I 1640-1641 hammered coin (see pictures and description]

Coin 3 Ethiopia 50 Matonas EE1923

Coin 4 USA dime 1982 P (also needed for my Dansco lol lol)

Coin 5 USA (Boston) token (unknown age)

Coin 6 Spain 50 Cent (silver)

Favorite coins from this lot

Lot22.jpg

The star of the risky bid:-

I am tentatively giving information on this coin anyone who knows better please pass on the information..

Information:

Silver hammered Charles I Shilling at 6.1g

Minted at the Tower Mint Under the King 1640-1641 (possibly one of the last coins minted under the king before London came under the control of Parliament during the Civil War)

Possibly Class 4D ?

Star mint Mark

I say possibly because the only reference to a star mint mark refers to this class but there are some differences on the coin to all the listed varieties i have been able to find

The Legends should read :-

OBV: CAROLUS DG MA(G) BR(IT) FR(A) ET HI(B) REX

REV: CHRISTO AUSPICE REGNO

Legend on coin:-

OBV: CAROLUS D G MAG BRI FRA ET HI REX

REV: As above

There is also a discrepancy with the position of the kings crown as all the references i have been able to find do not have the crown going over the inner rim or the cross on the top of the crown so far to the right ..

1640.jpg

1640r.jpg

would you bid on these lots now ?

enjoy dooly

The moral of the story...... "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LUCKY PERSON ONLY A PERSON WHO LOOKS !"

Looks like you got a mixed bag - some good stuff but some junk (like that american ) Anytime you can get silver like that in a lot for less than $2, you are doing good. What do you grade the Ethiopian one? I have that same one in AU-55. Picked it up when I was in Addis Ababa.

As for the hammered coin, while guides are often incomplete, especially for earlier material like this where there is so much variety, one can never completely rule out counterfeit. I hear it was quite common back in the day. If it was a contemporary counterfeit, and not a modern repro, it might still be worth something. Good luck!

Looks like you got a mixed bag - some good stuff but some junk (like that American ) Anytime you can get silver like that in a lot for less than $2, you are doing good. What do you grade the Ethiopian one? I have that same one in AU-55. Picked it up when I was in Addis Ababa.

As for the hammered coin, while guides are often incomplete, especially for earlier material like this where there is so much variety, one can never completely rule out counterfeit. I hear it was quite common back in the day. If it was a contemporary counterfeit, and not a modern repro, it might still be worth something. Good luck!

Cheers :applause:

the Ethiopian has a bit of a weak strike (like most of the ones i have had over the years)

I can tell you that there is no way the Hammered is counterfeit the weight gives it away as the contemporary forgeries we silver plated copper and a lot lighter and i have found 100's of hammereds over the years while detecting.. and you get a feel for a right coin..and this one is so cold to the touch..

I am going to have a look through some old auction catalogs an see if i can find a star mint mark one for comparison

all the best dooly