• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does she or doesn't she?......Only her "hairdresser" knows!

7 posts in this topic

In 2004, when the Mint announced plans to produce the 2005 Mint Sets in a satin finish, they began testing different sized glass beads and granularities of sand to determine what combination would produce the best results. Apparently, the results weren't satisfactory and testing continued well into mid-2005 before the desired effect could be achieved.

I wondered why they would have to conduct these tests when they already had a "formula" for a satin finish that was used on the 1998-S Kennedy half dollar. Granted, the Kennedy half is termed a "Matte" finish, but aren't these two terms more or less interchangeable? Anyway, I reasoned that maybe they felt testing was necessary because they weren't sure if the composition of the Sacagawea $ would present them with a problem in striking.

When I ordered my rolls of 2004 Sac's from the Mint, I found six coins in one roll that looked unusual. I showed these coins to one expert, someone who is highly respected in the field, and I was told that it was the "orange peel" effect. It probably is, but in the back of my mind I'm still wondering if the Mint didn't use some Sacagawea's to experiment with the new satin finish.

I'm attaching photos of two of the coins. They currently reside in ANACS slabs for two reasons: First, knowing the volatility of the metallic composition of the Sac's, I wanted to protect them from the elements. Second, I had a grading certificate from ANACS that gave me a good deal on the submission. (thumbs u Unfortunately, the photos through the plastic aren't as clear as I would like, but here they are for you to ponder..........Does she or doesn't she?.................Only the Mint knows!

Chris

Well, it looks like I have to go back to the drawing board to figure why it wouldn't post them. hm

(shrug) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug) (shrug)

44962-IMG_1855.JPG.d9aaaf9a56ca556b149517d49fd5ce06.JPG

Interesting thoughts, Chris. However, I'm inclined to think that the experimental coins would more closely resemble the satin finish crapola that came out in 2005 with the so-called Mint sets.

Hoot

It is extremely difficult to tell from the images if the surface you speak of is orange peel, sintered or even a satin finish effect. Had the US Mint tested some Sacagawea Business Strike Satin Finish dies in 2004, rest assured this would have been a special set up and run with quality control procedures in place and not accomplished during normal business strike runs.

Then there would have been an extensive examination of all the coins and dies post minting. I doubt seriously that anything of that nature would have been allowed to have been prematurely released into circulation…the experimental satin finish coins would have been “waffle” material and the experimental dies more than likely would have been stored or cancelled.

But there is that one possibility and one just never really knows what the mint is capable of producing and allowed to be put into circulation. The Mint Employees are very proud of their record and claim quality control is higher than ever before in the entire history of the US Mint. With the numbers involved, you’ve got to give them credit in that respect.

One question? Do both sides of the Sakies exhibit the same qualities?

Had the US Mint tested some Sacagawea Business Strike Satin Finish dies in 2004, rest assured this would have been a special set up and run with quality control procedures in place and not accomplished during normal business strike runs.

First of all, there is no question about whether experiments were conducted or not. The Mint stated that they were conducting tests. I agree with you to the extent that I doubt that experiments could have been conducted during normal business strike runs.

I doubt seriously that anything of that nature would have been allowed to have been prematurely released into circulation…

Again, I agree with you, but who is to say that some employee wasn't told to get rid of the coins and instead of seeing to it that they were destroyed, simply assumed that they could be thrown into one of the bins of business strikes? I'm sure you must agree that people may interpret the same thing in several different ways. For example, you might tell a person to put out a light, and that person may take a hammer and smash the bulb while another person may just throw the light switch. We can attest to this, firsthand, right on these forums. Someone states one thing and others read something entirely different into it.

But there is that one possibility and one just never really knows what the mint is capable of producing and allowed to be put into circulation.

No, I don't think the Mint would have purposely allowed them to be put into circulation.

One question? Do both sides of the Sakies exhibit the same qualities?

No! The reverse was struck from a normal die and there is no evidence of even an orange peel effect. Granted, it may seem odd that they would only use an obverse die for an experiment, but we shouldn't rule out the possibility that the Mint didn't want to waste a perfectly good reverse die if the experiment was a failure.

Darn! I still can't get all of the photos to post. Dumb me, again!

Chris

Thanks for answering my question about the obverse/reverse striking.

The entire time I was writing my original response, I was thinking about the minting of the 2000-P Sacagawea "Cheerios" dollars that were not caught until a few years after release but that all started with a single discovery coin.

What are the chances of finding 6 satin finish discovery coins in one roll? The odds are astronomical but so was finding a pattern/experimental coin in a box of cereal?

One never knows.

Thanks for answering my question about the obverse/reverse striking.

The entire time I was writing my original response, I was thinking about the minting of the 2000-P Sacagawea "Cheerios" dollars that were not caught until a few years after release but that all started with a single discovery coin.

What are the chances of finding 6 satin finish discovery coins in one roll? The odds are astronomical but so was finding a pattern/experimental coin in a box of cereal?

One never knows.

Of course, the odds of finding the six in one roll would be dependent on the quantity struck.

Chris