• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 Buffalo nickel Forgery ?

13 posts in this topic

What makes you wonder that and why would anyone do it for a coin of that date and condition? But in answer to YOUR question, I have no reason to doubt the coin's genuineness.

What makes you wonder that and why would anyone do it for a coin of that date and condition? But in answer to YOUR question, I have no reason to doubt the coin's genuineness.

I dont mean a moden forgery i mean a contemary forgery..

the ware on the coin seems rounded not flat like all the other worn specinims of this year i have seen.. it looks like it has been cast in my eyes

(thumbs u

NB extract from Lange

"As long as there has been coins there have been counterfeiters, and the Buffalo Nickel was not immune to this threat. As early as April 1913, The Numismatic could report that "Already the counterfeiters are at work on the new Five cent piece, and a numbre of leaden imitations have been placed in circulation," cast lead counterfits of Buffalo nickels may be still found in accumulations of old coins"

Would those lead counterfeits, be worth more than the original? I would think cast lead would wear awfully quickly. Not to mention a few people might notice the marks.

Would those lead counterfeits, be worth more than the original? I would think cast lead would wear awfully quickly. Not to mention a few people might notice the marks.

I know the shield nickels fakes are collected and usualy at a premuin !! but as for buffalos i dont know .. i have a lead £1 coin which i got in change and it is in very good condition .

Looks as if it spent some of its life living with the worms. Better, much better, examples may be had.

Agreed - looks like a metal detector find that has been cleaned up.

Lead counterfeits would wear very quickly, but the counterfeiter didn't care, and they would be discovered in circulation very quickly so they probably didn't circulate for very long. Many of them look very worn but that was most likely because they made to look worn. Why? Because a worn coin inspires some confidence in a person accepting it. He subconsciencously makes the assumption that since it is worn "many people before me have approved of it and found it to be good, so I will be safe doing so as well" (Counterfeit colonial coppers, british half pence, Canadian Blacksmith tokens, and english evasion pieces.were all made "worn" for that same reason.