• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spanish error coin

14 posts in this topic

I've no idea what to make of this. Shoot an email to Coneca, they usually know what's going on. World errors, while sometimes interesting, usually don't get that much of a premium. Get rid of that green gunk, while you're at it.

Surprisingly strong die clash. As such a neat example brobably worth few dollars but your' not going to retire on it. Probably not even a good dinner. . . for one.

wouldn't you expect a die clash to be raised instead of indented? Also can dies clash that strongly in only one place and have no other impressions anywhere else.

I'm asking for my own education, not to call in question the opinions.

wouldn't you expect a die clash to be raised instead of indented?

No they would be indented. When the dies clashed, the fields around the letters compressed the field of the other die leaving a raised forward image of the letters on the die. When that die then strikes the coin it leaves a reversed indented image of the letters. One thing that can make die clashes confusing is that you are not really seeing the letters themselves, but rather damage from the surrounding edges that then "suggest" the letter. Often there really isn't any true relief to the images at all.

Also can dies clash that strongly in only one place and have no other impressions anywhere else

Yes they can for two possible reasons. Possibly the die is of uneven hardness and is softer in that area, or the dies may be misaligned with their central axis skewed. This would result in the die faces not being parallel to each other so when they came together they hit first at that edge rather than in the center. That way the one small area near the edge of the die takes all the force and that is where the detail transfer took place.

Don't die clashes mirror-image any visible legends?

Legends and devices as long as the impact is severe enough and the dies deform. When the die come together three things could happen. They may just absorb the blow with no change. They may deform slightly resulting in clashmarks. Or they make crack, break, or even shatter. If they deform the clash marks may be anything from minor to extensive depending on the hardness of the dies,the force of the impact, the curvature of the dies, the placement of the devices, and whether or not the die faces are parallel. in this case it was the legends from the date area of the obv that were transfered, and you can see from the second picture that they are reversed (mirror image). The third picture has itself been reversed (note the reversed inscription on the scroll) in order to show the clashed lettering "forward".

The third picture has itself been reversed (note the reversed inscription on the scroll) in order to show the clashed lettering "forward".
I did not notice that. doh!

The third picture has itself been reversed (note the reversed inscription on the scroll) in order to show the clashed lettering "forward".
I did not notice that. doh!

Sorry i should have said that !!